Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

Cant get the turbo off! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 04:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Cant get the turbo off! Need advice

Hello.

New to the forum and need some help removing the turbo. I have A6 3.0 tdi 2008. Im trying to remove the turbocharger. I am at the point where I have removed the 5 bolts holding the turbo to the head, but I am still not able to move the turbo. Then I noticed a sixth bolt in the rear of the turbo underneath bolted upside down into the turbo..

Can anyone confirm this? What type is this? 12 point, same as the other 5? Im afraid I have to go in via the wheel arch..

Thanks,

MA

Old 07-20-2016, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Angry

Figured it out. The bracket underneath is bolted to the turbo from underneath.

BUT I still can't get the turbo out! Its loose but I cant for the life of me get it out. The bracket underneath where oil return pipe is connected is shaped like a hook and gets stuck when I try to raise the turbo. Any tricks, advice!!!??

Appreciate all help!

Thanks,

MA

Old 07-21-2016, 04:25 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Yey!

Finally got it out. Removed the left intake manifold actuator/servo and the the coolant pipe/hose to the left of the turbo. Then slide turbo to left and then up

MA

Old 07-24-2016, 08:26 AM
1st Gear

Hi MA. How did you remove that bolt from underneath the turbo? Space is so tight, I guess I'll head to the tool store and buy another spline drive that I can cut down and put a spanner onto...
David

Old 08-21-2016, 09:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Help?

I have identified that this bolt underneath is actually hex not spline, either 5.5 or 6mm, but is basically inaccessible. Has anyone managed to succeed in removing a Q7 TDI 3.0 turbo without removing the engine?

Last edited by davo34; 08-21-2016 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Add engine info
Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by davo34
I have identified that this bolt underneath is actually hex not spline, either 5.5 or 6mm, but is basically inaccessible. Has anyone managed to succeed in removing a Q7 TDI 3.0 turbo without removing the engine?
Hello Davo.

On my A6 3.0tdi the bolt underneath the turbo is the same as the ones on top of the turbo. Get a mirror, and take the screw all the way out... that was what I did..

I will try to post some pics tomorrow;-)

Old 08-24-2016, 01:07 AM
1st Gear

Hi MA, I got a Flexi inspection camera in there and saw that it's a hex bolt. There's just no room to get a tool in there though. Spent 2 hours on that one bolt, then gave up and reassembled everything. Maybe if I removed the exhaust pipe where it goes to the turbo it might give me enough room, but that also appears challenging due to the location of those bolts. Looking forward to your photos.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by davo34
Hi MA, I got a Flexi inspection camera in there and saw that it's a hex bolt. There's just no room to get a tool in there though. Spent 2 hours on that one bolt, then gave up and reassembled everything. Maybe if I removed the exhaust pipe where it goes to the turbo it might give me enough room, but that also appears challenging due to the location of those bolts. Looking forward to your photos.
I forgot to take the pictures today, but I will try to explain what I did on the picture below.

The red arrow is pointed at the metal covering the turbo. I took a socket extension bar with hex tool on it. Lowered it down horizontal (socket pointing same way as red arrow). Then, after using a mirror to put hex into the bolt head. I connected the socket wrench to the bar. The bolt is very long, take it all the way out, be careful not to drop it. (sidenote: there is a hole in the transmission house directly under the turbo. cover it up with paper, so you dont drop anything in there).

Name:  SwirlFlapMotorLabelled_zps7c13e1cd.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  267.6 KB
I am afraid that the turbo on your Q7 is mounted differently..?

If so I dont know how you are gonna get it out..

Good luck, and sorry for my english

Old 12-11-2016, 10:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7 turbo issue

Hi MA. Just to close this off, I finally removed that bolt you quoted as "a sixth bolt in the rear of the turbo underneath bolted upside down into the turbo". Unfortunately after so much effort, this was not required, the bolt that needed to be removed was the horizontal one holding the turbo bracket to the engine.
That was not so difficult and I finally got that turbo out. I should have paid more attention to that last photo and description, as in hindsight, it is quite clear now! By the way, the A6 and Q7 appear to be exactly the same.
Cleaned the turbo up nicely and put it back, but the intermittent limp mode problem remains. I guess I need a new turbo actuator.
Thanks for your help with this