Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

making a turbo nonturbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default making a turbo nonturbo?

OK guys so my turbos are on their way out..the dentist drill noise seems to be louder every time I drive. I don't have the money to get new turbos to fix it. I was wondering if it was possible to just take the turbos out and make it a non turbo car? I just got the car not even a month ago...guy I got it from got me good and its a lesson learned for sure but I have everything invested into this car and can't afford a new one and only getting offered $500 trade in value. Any help is appreciate! That ks in advance!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 PM

Making the car a non-turbo would likely similar to or not-much-less than rebuilding your current turbo.

There are 2 main systems that would need to be adapted for non-turbo:
1) intake: need to adapt airbox to throttle body. You could probably go cheap and implement a MAF on a cone filter, straight into the throttle body. This would bypass the intercooler and associated piping.

2) exhaust: need to adapt the exhaust manifold's outlet to the inlet of catalytic converter, unless a non-turbo manifold is already available that will achieve this same function.

Even if you do these, the engine is not optimized for running turbo-less. Therefore I think your best bet is to look into having your turbo rebuilt, which may cost only $200-300, instead of $700+ for a new turbo (not including labor costs).

Old 03-31-2015, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

OK! Thank you very much for your help! I'll hit up my local shop and see if that is something they could do.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:39 PM
1st Gear

Talked to a reputable shop and they said they don't offer turbo rebuilds because they don't last. Opinions?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Red-EyeJedii
Talked to a reputable shop and they said they don't offer turbo rebuilds because they don't last. Opinions?
Try another shop?
Turbo rebuilds, when done right, should last for a bit. The problem might have to do with their ability to provide a warranty, though. Also a rebuild only works on a turbo without any physical damage (due to being worn out), so there are limitations to being able to rebuild.
It's "easier" to simply swap in a brand new turbo that can be warrantied.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

I just asked this shop because I saw their name multiple times in this forum and some friends of mine that know them say its the best one in town. I will call a few others though and see. Either way I'm looking at around. 3k for labor right?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 PM

What car do you have?
$3k sounds really high to me, but I do all the work on my own car. Also you're saying "turbos" as though your car has more than one?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:29 PM
1st Gear

I have an A6 quattro 2.7l biturbo.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:24 AM

I can understand the $3k cost, the engine pretty much needs to come out to swap turbos on the 2.7T. It's going to be an expensive job even without labor since it sounds like you need to replace both turbos.

There are enthusiasts around who know these cars inside-out, and might be willing to help for potentially a relatively small fee. You could post up in the Regional forums here and on other Audi enthusiast forums, see if you might get a hit.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Ok, thank you very much! I'll make a post there and see if I can find some local help. Also I found these turbos on eBay...would you say that they'd be OK to use? http://m.ebay.com/itm/231074796818?nav=SEARCHI really don't need anything high performance..just something that will work. I made sure they at least came with a warranty. I dropped everything I had to get the car so, while I understand the importance of quality goods and that they cost more, it just isn't a feasible option for me to spend over a grand on parts. :/

Quick Reply: making a turbo nonturbo?