Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:49 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MetalMan
I've been using the CX Racing FMIC for at least a year between 2 different (but still B5) cars. It's worked well enough, as in it cools the intake air
I don't have much of a point of reference for performance comparison but it does work!

My Motoza tune was ready for me a couple hours before I got off work (making it hard to focus lol...). As soon as I was done with work I walked over to my car, started flashing the new tune to the ECU, and installed the new Bosch EV14 550cc injectors with adapters. The ECU flash came up with a couple errors but the software overcame them by writing in "recovery mode". In the end the ECU flash was successful and I was able to drive it right away! No hiccups with idle or anything! The throttle response is a bit abrupt and whatnot but that's why this is only the first revision - there will be more revisions to come as I take logs and Motoza modifies the tune.
Hi mate I'm new to the site and I have just bought a 2001 a4 1.8t but I'm not getting any oil to the cams I have drained the oil and used an engine flush but I'm still not getting the oil to the cams would you have any idea as to maybe my problem here ??

Many thanks tonyc456

Old 03-08-2014, 12:00 PM

Hi, I've never had the problem you're describing. I would guess that your oil pressure may be low, perhaps due to a clogged oil pickup screen (which attaches to the oil pump), and thus oil isn't reaching that high in the engine.
Does your engine have any sludge in it?
Otherwise you may have a clogged oil passage or a bad oil pump.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:36 PM

Been having some fun with maintenance-type stuff lately. On Saturday I spend about 8 hours completing the following:
1) oil change
2) replace gasket on oil pan sensor
3) helicoil one of the turbo mount bolt holes in the turbo (without draining the coolant and pulling the turbo)
4) re-install stock airbox (was running cone filter with BlinkTek heatshield for a couple months)

Number 3) was fun... there's hardly any room to drill and tap the turbo while it's still in the engine bay. In hindsight I should have just drained the coolant and pulled the turbo. Would have made it much easier and possibly less time consuming. Oh well, it's done.

Been having problems still with the 034 silicone breather assembly as in post #198. Called 034 Motorsport today, they gave me a couple different ideas for a solution:
-install silicone valve cover breather (apparently has a tighter fit on the aluminum tube than the stock rubber piece currently on the car)
-install a longer aluminum tube to accommodate the fact that the silicone breather assembly seems to have tension pulling it downwards

So I'm not sure yet what I'll do about this...

Also still been having a pretty negative multiplicative fuel trim. Part of this may have been due to the FrankenTurbo silicone turbo inlet pipe being pushed off the turbo's inlet due to the length of the cone filter/MAF assembly (pushing against the strut tower), along with the silicone breather coming undone pretty regularly. Part of me is also wondering if having a cone filter right before the MAF is contributing to the negative fuel trim as well... now that I have the stock airbox back in we'll see.

Yesterday I did some boost leak testing. They're pretty much all gone now so part of me wants to scratch boost leaks off the list of causes for the negative fuel trim. But this doesn't necessarily rule out vacuum leaks... to be continued. I really want this fixed so I can work on getting the next tune revision from Motoza!

Old 04-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Update time

The breather problem I mentioned in my above post seems to be fixed! I simply replaced the valve cover 3-way breather hose with another spare OEM piece I had laying around (after the one in the car ripped) and the 034 silicone breather pipe hasn't come out since

Also replaced the PRV ("pancake" valve located in the TIP) with a new OEM piece. Wanted to make sure this wasn't contributing to my excessive negative fuel trims (it wasn't). It's a good maintenance item too.

I logged my car and sent the log to Motoza. About 2 weeks later I got my current revision of the tune which seems to feel better. He played with fueling and timing and a little boost, and hopefully my fuel trims should be more "normal" now. It feels better and my gas mileage may have improved slightly.

Yesterday I reinstalled the N249 valve as well as reincorporated the vacuum reservoir, which is used for diverter valve control on DBW cars. I had deleted it several months ago when the car was apart (had also deleted suction jet pump, SAI, etc)

Several threads between Audizine and VW Vortex/Fourtitude have discussions on the benefits of using the N249 vs not using it. It sounds like it should slightly improve gas mileage, boost recovery during shifts, and low-throttle response. I can't say if my car will see higher MPG from it, but boost recovery and low-throttle response do seem to be mildly improved.

Soon I will also install an aftermarket ("OEM") 710N diverter valve to replace the FrankenTurbo DV currently in my car that I've never serviced. Hopefully this will maximize the benefits of reinstalling the N249.

In other news, I've been slowly working on the '98 A4 to get it back together for sale. Pulled the front seats and cleaned them, and also cleaned the carpet, back seats, and back seat side bolsters. I think it was a good use of time
Also replaced the brake fluid reservoir which was cracked from a couple years ago, and began power bleeding the brakes. It seems like there has been an endless supply of air in the brake lines! Still have more air left it seems.
Anyways, next up will be swapping in the used trunk lid I bought, and fixing it up. Getting closer!

Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Well, today is a good day. 31 days ago my wife and I have an offer accepted on a one-story townhouse 10mins away from where we live (and coincidentally 10mins closer to where each of us work). Our mortgage loan was funded this morning so we should be getting keys today!!!

We've already got several things planned for it. First up: several tiles in the tub shower are cracked/broken. So we'll be demolishing the current tile (which I think is mounted to drywall) down to the studs, installing a vapor barrier, Hardie backerboard, and finally re-tiling all the way to the ceiling. It will be our first "real" home improvement project together Should be doable and I've been able to convince her to let me buy a $190 Dewalt 20V Lithium cordless drill in the process.

We're changing locks tomorrow, cleaning carpets and doing shower tile demo on Friday, moving all the big stuff on Saturday (while we still live in our apartment). Monday is my birthday, which means a day off from work, and I'll try to install the shower vapor barrier and backerboard. The goal is to finish the shower tile in the townhouse before actually living there, so based on that we have a pretty darn aggressive schedule. But I like a challenge.

In other car news: the 2001 A4's interior has received lots of love in the past week. I rewrapped my old headliner with a foam-backed black suede, and was able to install that along with all the black upper interior pieces. Installed black suede-wrapped A pillars yesterday, and now just need to wrap the D pillars before the car will be all back together

Received another tune from Motoza yesterday and it's getting pretty darn close to completion I think. I'll be doing 3 dyno runs on Sunday so we'll see how this FT setup looks!

Also think I need to replace the turbo-to-mani gasket again, and do the special torquing sequence on the turbo mounting bolts. Hoping to do that before Sunday, too.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:02 AM

Well, last night I replaced the turbo-to-manifold gasket with another $15 Cometic gasket hoping it would solve the rattling issue I've been having that seems to be coming from the front right of the car. After installing it I drive the car hard (once it's up to operating temp) and get the turbo hot enough to do this:

Name:  0426142240a_zpsf78eeced.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  129.6 KB

Then I torqued down the turbo mounting bolts (while it was very hot) and clamped the locking tab around the bolt heads.

Unfortunately the rattling persisted, perhaps it was even worse after replacing the gasket/torquing bolts compared to how it was prior! I continued to tighten the turbo mounting bolts after several heat cycles but the rattling still occurs when the engine/turbo are hot enough :/ I'm gonna contact FT about this again.

Today I did this:
Name:  0427141649a_zpsda1ba3e5.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  253.8 KB

And this was the outcome:
Name:  Colesen_FT-dyno_zpsd2dd0b9a.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  61.1 KB

Was kinda disappointing to say the least. The dyno tech said they recently had a B6 A4 with FrankenTurbo F21 kit and same 550cc injectors, also straight 91 octane, etc. that put down 245 AWHP !! My relatively small 170 AWHP doesn't even compare to that... also gonna ask Doug @ FrankenTurbo his thoughts on this.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Wooowww how time flies! Pretty sure I've said that before...

Since we started the remodel on our shower tile, it has become quite a time-intensive project. It's taken much longer than we anticipated! There have been struggles each step of the way mostly related to the original construction of the shower tile. But the good news is that it's all downhill from here... we have most of the tiles laid for the first row, and after the first row is done it's pretty much like laying bricks.

We still have stuff to move, too. And there's another catch: we're going on a 3-day trip in the midst of all this craziness. It will be a fun trip I'm sure, but as a result we'll likely be showering at our respective parents' houses for a few days. Our new house only has one shower.

In car news: the clutch on the 2001 has been slipping at ~12+ psi, which is probably why the dyno graph looks so pitiful. It actually makes perfect sense... a FT dyno graph normally should hit a certain peak torque, and just kinda sit there/rise slightly until 4500-5000 RPM, then start dropping.

If you've been reading then you'll know that I replaced the clutch in this car last October, about 4,000 miles ago with a Valeo single-mass clutch kit. This same clutch held up great in the 1998 while the FT kit was in that car.
So now I'm up to the task of figuring out why the clutch is slipping like this... my initial thoughts are oil leak since the car has been dripping oil.

Also I've been mulling over turbo replacement options. I know that I don't want to continue using my current FT turbo/manifold. That means either go back to stock manifold and turbo, stock manifold and some other turbo, some other manifold and other turbo...
I pretty much narrowed it down to this: stock manifold (port-matched and mildly ported) with a GT2X eliminator watercooled (found a guy selling one brand-new for $780 shipped), or go with a new FT F21 turbo and manifold. Well, Doug @ FrankenTurbo has continued his superb customer service and is helping me out with a deal I don't want to pass up on new turbo/manifold.

That means the 2001 will be down for a little while as I replace turbo/manifold, drop transmission, replace leaking seals, maybe change clutch, etc. Fun times ahead... at least this time I'll be doing this work in my own (new) garage.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:27 PM
1st Gear

Wooowww how time flies! Pretty sure I've said that before...

Since we started the remodel on our shower tile, it has become quite a time-intensive project. It's taken much longer than we anticipated! There have been struggles each step of the way mostly related to the original construction of the shower tile. But the good news is that it's all downhill from here... we have most of the tiles laid for the first row, and after the first row is done it's pretty much like laying bricks.

We still have stuff to move, too. And there's another catch: we're going on a 3-day trip in the midst of all this craziness. It will be a fun trip I'm sure, but as a result we'll likely be showering at our respective parents' houses for a few days. Our new house only has one shower.

In car news: the clutch on the 2001 has been slipping at ~12+ psi, which is probably why the dyno graph looks so pitiful. It actually makes perfect sense... a FT dyno graph normally should hit a certain peak torque, and just kinda sit there/rise slightly until 4500-5000 RPM, then start dropping.

If you've been reading then you'll know that I replaced the clutch in this car last October, about 4,000 miles ago with a Valeo single-mass clutch kit. This same clutch held up great in the 1998 while the FT kit was in that car.
So now I'm up to the task of figuring out why the clutch is slipping like this... my initial thoughts are oil leak since the car has been dripping oil.

Also I've been mulling over turbo replacement options. I know that I don't want to continue using my current FT turbo/manifold. That means either go back to stock manifold and turbo, stock manifold and some other turbo, some other manifold and other turbo...
I pretty much narrowed it down to this: stock manifold (port-matched and mildly ported) with a GT2X eliminator watercooled (found a guy selling one brand-new for $780 shipped), or go with a new FT F21 turbo and manifold. Well, Doug @ FrankenTurbo has continued his superb customer service and is helping me out with a deal I don't want to pass up on new turbo/manifold.

That means the 2001 will be down for a little while as I replace turbo/manifold, drop transmission, replace leaking seals, maybe change clutch, etc. Fun times ahead... at least this time I'll be doing this work in my own (new) garage.
Very nice yeah I have still been working up on mine to get a nice new turbo...I did see that watercooled and like it only if I had the spare cash.....your car looks good bro...I will for sure have to come up north and visit when I can nice weather here now lol hot as hell....

Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM

Perhaps one of these days something like that can be arranged Gonna be a while before I have real free time though haha.

Been pretty hot these last few days! Temps reached into the upper 90s, so I had to use my AC :/ it works great but still puts a little drag on the engine, making it more challenging to drive smoothly.

In other news: 034 Motorsport put up a group buy for a pair of Density Line motor mounts. I've only used stock/stock-replacement motor mounts (Meyle brand), but feel that my setup could benefit from upgraded mounts. So I ordered a pair of Street Density motor mounts, came out to $196 including $13 tax and $13 shipping. Will install them to the 2001 while it's apart for turbo/manifold replacement.

Speaking of turbo/manifold replacement... will be ordering them tomorrow! Also been thinking about how I want to secure the turbo mounting bolts. More recently I had success with the 034 Motorsport K03/K04 locking tab, but the tabs will start to tear/break after they've been bent/re-bent enough times. And they're almost $10 + shipping.
I'm gonna try for safety wire, which will include drilling small holes through the heads of the turbo bolts. While I'll be investing $25 into a tool and wire, this may be a better investment in the long run.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Perhaps one of these days something like that can be arranged Gonna be a while before I have real free time though haha.

Been pretty hot these last few days! Temps reached into the upper 90s, so I had to use my AC :/ it works great but still puts a little drag on the engine, making it more challenging to drive smoothly.

Speaking of turbo/manifold replacement... will be ordering them tomorrow! Also been thinking about how I want to secure the turbo mounting bolts. More recently I had success with the 034 Motorsport K03/K04 locking tab, but the tabs will start to tear/break after they've been bent/re-bent enough times. And they're almost $10 + shipping.
I'm gonna try for safety wire, which will include drilling small holes through the heads of the turbo bolts. While I'll be investing $25 into a tool and wire, this may be a better investment in the long run.
Sounds good yeah I have been working a lot too..I hope your all safe lots of fires down here....we were 104 yesterday and the day before. I can tell my car does not like the heat oil temp light kicked on the other day...The locking idea is a good thing interested in how they work out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread