Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:57 PM

I have yet to run the Motoza "dyno" to see estimated engine power. But I'm sure it would be disappointing since I only run California's crappy 91 octane gas.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM

So, some new things have been happening.

1) To start with, I never posted up the "schematic" of my super-duper PCV system which is basically a stock-upgraded PCV system with a catch can in the middle:
Name:  PCV_layout_zpse2vs2jrr.png
Views: 589
Size:  16.5 KB

2) This past weekend I got around to installing the Newsouth Power Gasket, because I had the intake manifold off...

3) Also this past weekend I relocated the upper coolant pipe (which normally sits above the intake manifold) to below the intake manifold. The main reason for doing this is to avoid having to drain/lose coolant EVERY time I want to remove the intake manifold. So far I only have pictures of the coolant pipe relocation without the intake manifold re-installed... but I've driven maybe 25 miles on it so far (in 4 separate trips) and don't think anything is leaking.

It consists of a B6 (genuine Audi part) coolant flange, some silicone couplers, bunch of hose clamps, custom adapter for the turbo coolant feed line, 45-degree aluminum pipe, a cut-down upper coolant pipe, and a shortened coolant hose from coolant pipe to oil cooler.

Name:  0417152023_zpsripftmrj.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  270.1 KB
Name:  0417152023a_zpsysqzt9ax.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  183.8 KB
Name:  0417152024a_zpsxn7aczmy.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  183.9 KB
Name:  0420151226-1_zpsdcawe59j.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  181.5 KB

Last edited by MetalMan; 04-20-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:54 AM

So I just learned that as of a few days ago, a new E85 station will soon be opening up only 2 miles from my house, the next closest being 8 miles away (but potentially lots of traffic in-between).

I had been turned off from E85 due to availability/proximity of pumps near me, but Pearson Fuels is opening up 13 new locations in ONLY Southern California.

Add in that with Motoza I can probably get a switchable tune, and be able to swap between 91 octane / E85 on-the-fly after depleting the fuel tank.

Was planning to do water/meth but E85 would be so much easier/cheaper/less parts to fail.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:43 PM

Things are now rolling...
Just paid an invoice to Motoza for the following:
1) Tune revision, 91 octane, to upgrade to 3" MAF housing and 750cc injectors
2) E85 tune with same hardware, and tune switching
3) Motoza BTX bluetooth interface

Bosch 750cc injectors are more expensive than 550cc and 630cc, but Dave @ Motoza prefers to work with the over 630cc. Doug @ FrankenTurbo says they're more expensive because they're modified 550cc injectors.

So why 750cc? I mean, that's A LOT of fuel especially at 4bar fuel pressure with a rising-rate FPR. My calculations suggest I would be at about 76% maximum injector duty cycle using E85 and 630cc, but 750cc injectors may be easier to control reliably and there will be NO shortage of fuel.

Last weekend I installed the Deatschwerks 300LPH fuel pump that I pulled from my 1998 A4 about 1.5 years ago. Took some pictures along the way:
Fuel Pump Swap Photos by 4x4pede | Photobucket

Last edited by MetalMan; 05-01-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:42 PM
1st Gear
Default E85 stations around HB

Been following this thread for sometime now and was interested in E85 locations when I saw the post.
Was not sure if you knew of this site Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Fueling Station Locations

which lists several stations in and around HB.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DanSoCalMan
Been following this thread for sometime now and was interested in E85 locations when I saw the post.
Was not sure if you knew of this site Alternative Fuels Data Center: Ethanol Fueling Station Locations

which lists several stations in and around HB.
Yep familiar with those locations, but I just updated my location: Costa Mesa. Appreciate the thought! The one on Beach is probably where I'd go until the new station closer to me opens up.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:26 PM

Yesterday my new/updated tune from Motoza came in!
So last night I finished shoehorning a 3" MAF housing (from FrankenTurbo) into a stock airbox lid, and mounted that to the car. It was a tight fit with the FrankenTurbo silicone TIP but it's not going anywhere.

Also swapped in Bosch EV14 750cc injectors (these are drilled 550cc injectors) for the 550cc injectors previously in there.

At this point I've only used the 91 octane tune. Hopefully when I fill up next, it will be with E85!

First start: turned over right away, but idle was a little rough for the first 30sec. or so. It smoothed out considerably afterwards and feels great.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:20 AM

Got another revision from Motoza, turns out they didn't scale the MAF right away despite my constant mention of it the first time around. So now that's fixed and the car ran more like it did prior to the 3" MAF/750cc injectors. Even still, it's seeing a -16% fuel trim which is well beyond "normal".

And yesterday for the first time I filled up with E85! Haven't really pushed it hard yet since there was still about 1.5 gallons of regular gas in the tank (low fuel light was on before I filled up), and I just want to make sure the fuels mix.
But soon I'll push it, though it already feels a bit better under normal driving.

Last edited by MetalMan; 05-21-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:29 PM

Had a rather unfortunate incident yesterday:

Name:  0526151358_zps1pqvxayv.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  158.5 KB

Was driving back to work during my lunch break. About 0.5 miles from work, while sitting at a red light (off-ramp from a freeway) the light turned green. I gave it gas as usual, and engine RPMs didn't go anywhere. Engine died and wouldn't restart
Subsequent attempts to restart the engine failed, and I needed to have it towed. Fortunately the tow was only 5 miles to get it back home, and with AAA they cover the first 7 miles. Still tipped the driver $10 since he helped push it into my garage.

So far I haven't found the culprit. Here's what I've checked:
  1. no noticeable intercooler pipes or vacuum lines are disconnected
  2. unplugged MAF, no change
  3. all fuses check out okay, also double-checked they have continuity with a DVM
  4. fuel pump relay is sending power during key-on and cranking
  5. there is continuity between fuel pump terminal and fuel pump power wire on fuel tank lid (so assuming there is power to fuel pump)
  6. there were no fault codes before or after the engine died
  7. there were no noises when the engine died
  8. timing belt is intact
  9. ran engine Output Tests in VCDS / VAG-COM and they seemed successful... though now it won't run output tests
  10. during cranking VCDS is reporting ~200 RPM

Things to check next:
  • check if fuel pump is pumping during key-on and cranking, by attaching fuel line to fuel tank lid outlet nipple
  • if no fuel flow, dig pump out of tank and investigate wiring and pump (I just installed a Deatschwerks pump about a month ago)
  • if fuel pump checks out okay, check for spark. If no spark, buy and replace crankshaft position sensor

Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM

Put in another 1.5 hours last night on diagnosis:
1) there's spark during cranking, so crank position sensor is good
2) there's no fuel or noise coming from the pump, but there was voltage during key-on and cranking at the fuel pump terminals

So dead fuel pump is the conclusion. It's about 3 years old (out of warranty), and it sat around in some not-so-great conditions for about 1.5 years. Then I installed it a month ago, and filled up with E85 last week so I'm guessing that caused it to die.

Will be performing an "autopsy" on the pump soon! Already have a new Deatschwerks DW200 on the way from Amazon, only $87.

Quick Reply: MetalMan's 1.8T FrankenTurbo (F4H-L, F21) Build Thread