Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going, and going FAST!

my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done

Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Default my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done

Im only alowing 2psi of boost right now, however even on that boost level I was able to keep up with a ls1 convertible vette with a really fat driver, he was PISSED OFF hahaha. That seems like low boost and it is, but the turbo im using is rather large, the pictures dont really do it justice. The car sounds rather stock until you floor it, then it sounds like a jet engine roaring down the street oh yea it runs very reliably and idles just like stock too

[IMG]local://upfiles/32036/065F196D2BD441189D054DF020396715.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32036/365F1D4F265140CFB0FA34987E2F3510.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32036/C3C9184289EF42E58EEC5F772B93BC6B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done

question...are there any benefits to a rear mount? i know they make those kits for vettes, but i have never seen one in person. seems like a hell of alot of extra piping for the same result.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

The turbo stays cooler and can be larger because its not in the engine compartment. I chose this route because it was the least amount of down time in the install for my car. Durring the install the most time the car was not able to run was 4 hrs. (I did the install in many parts) The underhood heat is also kept down. On the down side I did loose 2" of ground clearance but it hasnt been a problem yet, I can look past that for now.[/align]

Old 03-08-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

nice has it been tuned or are you just running stock tuning?

Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
1st Gear

Where is your turbo inlet at? Is it just the filter on the turbo, or do you have a sort of an intake tucked away into the bumper? Just a question since it's still not that great of weather permanately for the season

Old 03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Is it possible to ummm...dent in the underside so you can have a nice channel for the boost tubing? I know it might sound barbaric, but it's just a question.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

The engine has a piggy back apexi fuel computer. The charge piping does hang down some but not too bad. The filter is on the maf which is on the turbo inlet, and there is an air box around the whole thing.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm make believe

if you have a safc i hope you are funning more that 2psi now. 5-7psi should be fine if you can tune it right. You may even want to up the fuel pressure to keep a/f around 11:1-11.5:1, which you should also be keeping an eye on.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear

All that & you have 2 psi?

I bet it takes some time to spool up & you must have massive lag. A turbo works off of thermal compression. Putting it way back there, the exhaust cools a LOT, causing the flow to slow down. That's why most turbo's are right off the manifold. yes, it will run cooler back there, but your getting far less efficiency from it.

Then you have all that piping, do you have a IC? I hope you never scrap anything on the underside of the car. Boost leaks are going to plague you.

You can gain more performance from one of the E-ram electric superchargers over your setup.

Sorry if you think I'm being a little mean, but if your not going to due it right, why even do it?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm make believe

sorry but im going to have to refute some of these points

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

All that & you have 2 psi? Agreed

I bet it takes some time to spool up & you must have massive lag.

From the pic it looks like its before or replacing the cat

A turbo works off of thermal compression. Putting it way back there, the exhaust cools a LOT, causing the flow to slow down.

theturbo works on flow, thats why a larger displacement engine makes more exhaust flow spooling a turbo faster.

That's why most turbo's are right off the manifold. yes NO, they are there because of space and they spool faster., it will run cooler back there, but your getting far less efficiency from it. Not really,it gets a much more even flow like a equal lenght manifold. Which although slower in spool (pending how far back it is) you gain more high end hp.

Then you have all that piping, do you have a IC? I hope you never scrap anything on the underside of the car. Boost leaks are going to plague you. He is not even above 7psi. He would be fine until he passes that. Plus he would only need a smaller ic because he is using a larger turbo at very little boost causing very little heat.

You can gain more performance from one of the E-ram electric superchargers over your setup. I really hope that was a joke. A large turbo flows way more cfm then a plastic fan

Sorry if you think I'm being a little mean, but if your not going to due it right, why even do it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my 12v v6 rear mount turbo setup is done