Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I replace 205/60 R15's with 185/65 R15's.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 PM
1st Gear
Lightbulb Can I replace 205/60 R15's with 185/65 R15's.

I have an 00' Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T. I currently have 205.60 R15's it. Can I replace all 4 205/60 R15's with 185/65 R15's. I need to make sure this is safe for me and my car, thanks alot. Rick

Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Senior Administrator
Old 08-21-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear
Wink

Thanks so much man. do u know what will change/ the tire calculator. said there would be more revs per mile. does this mean im going through more gas per mile. also I have another question my clutch is letting out all the way at the top. it makes it really hard to shift smoothly. Is there an ajustment or do i need a new clutch. thanks agian,
your fellow noob.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Senior Administrator

The increase in your revs/mile is negligible, IMHO. You're talking about 7 additional tire revolutions/mile. Pennies/day, effectively. You blow more than that on chewing gum!

As for your clutch take-up. Check your fluid levels. I've never owned a manual Audi but I've owned a few manuals in my time. 1st thing I check on something like that is fluid levels. It's German, so, oddly enough, 1st thing I'd check, fluid-wise, is brake fluid. Really. You know, you'd be better off checkin with the guys in the A4 sections. That's where I moved your post from the newb-welcome section to. I guarantee SOMEONE over there has a clue, and a much better answer to your question about the clutch than I have.

BTW, I meant to ask, WHY are you changing to a narrower tire? Conventional wisdom says go wider, for better handling. Unless you're chasing gas mileage, in which case, a 195/65-15 would SAVE you pennies/day.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:56 AM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by rhessballin@gmail.com
my clutch is letting out all the way at the top. it makes it really hard to shift smoothly. Is there an ajustment or do i need a new clutch. thanks agian,
your fellow noob.
Normal for audis. annoying but true lol

Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 AM
2nd Gear

---BTW, I meant to ask, WHY are you changing to a narrower tire? Conventional wisdom says go wider, for better handling. Unless you're chasing gas mileage, in which case, a 195/65-15 would SAVE you pennies/day.[/QUOTE]---

I don't completely agree with all that. True that a larger patch will give better forward and braking traction, but actually the narrowest tire you can fit on a rim will give the "crispest" cornering action...less side roll over.
This is something I experimented with a lot in the past, at the suggestion of experienced road racers. Tried a lot of combinations with past "street racer" VW's I built and hands down, the narrowest tires on a given rim produced the best tight cornering...esp with beefed up suspension...killed all remaining "side slop". Depends on how ya drive and what you're looking for.
Of course, the best of both worlds, for handling, is to stick with the same tire and go to wider rims...open up those side walls!

195/65-15 is larger diameter...torque killer. 185 is slightly smaller...lowers final drive ratio and helps acceleration, but speedometer reads wrong (by a little).

Last edited by silverd2; 08-22-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:18 AM
1st Gear
Wink I kinda have no choice.

I just had knee surgery. and i just got a flat tire. its not fixable. I have no job right now due to my surgery. I have those Nokian 185/65's sitting out side. so i can use those no coast but labor to change them out. 10$ a tire. Its no good to find just one new tire for a AWD car. burns up tranny, or something. If i had the money i would love to buy new 205/60's cause i do like the look of the tire on my car.

On the cluth issue. my hydrolic level is perfect. I dont know what it could be it must be my clutch going out or something. but theres got to be a way to adjust the clutch. its still going into gear fine, but like i said its all the way out when the cluth ingages. which is hard to shift smoothly and fast. let me know if any one knows why this is? I would go to my Audi guy but i am hurting for doe and need to diagnois problems myself.

thanks for the imput guys.
Rick. check my garage pics.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Administrator

That leaves one of two questions remaining:

1) Will the Nokians fit on your existing wheels? Going from a 205 width down to a 185 is quite a difference. Or:

2) Will the wheels the 185's are currently on fit your Audi?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

the 185's are not mounted on any rims. i went to a mechanic he said the tire will fit my 15''audi rims. Its hard to find one replacement when you have AWD. therefor i am forced to replace all 4 tires due to one flat. this sucks when u have no job. So i will have to baby my Audi with the 185's on it, untill i get enough money to buy 205's. dont get me wrong i love the look of a wider tire. hopefully this works out and my car's tanny/differential will love me for replacing all 4 tires. if any one thinks this is not safe let me know asap. i have a 3:00pm appt. 2mro to get my tires swapped. thanks
Rick

Old 08-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Senior Administrator

Well, if you've had a tire guy look at it and say, "OK," then OK! (BTW, don't know your wrench, or his KSA's, but, I'd ask a tire guy if the swap'd work... I'd hat for your wheels to literally POP off once you let the car down off the rack/jack)

If it works, you should be OK, as long as you don't have any action/adventure chase-scenes involving jumps & slides & stuff!

Quick Reply: Can I replace 205/60 R15's with 185/65 R15's.