RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 vibration and noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
1st Gear
Default RS4 vibration and noise when braking

I thought it was warped rotors since the sound/brake pedal vibration occurred when braking, but the dealer is replacing the DRC based on the just-issued recall.... Any ideas if that sounds right?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM
1st Gear

There's a recall on the DRC?

I was just in to the dealer this Saturday - they didn't mention it.

Do you know what model year the recall was for?

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear

@Racer: Apparently. I haven't seen the letter but my DRC was fully replaced (I had to put my STASIS plans on hold). Here are some recent posts on this issue:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2786235

Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 PM
1st Gear

Yes, the DRC shocks are being replaced per a new campaign. The problem is, Audi discovered some of them had started to leak and so decided to replace them, whether they are actually leaking or not. It covers RS4 (and RS6) from 2004(?) to 2008. I have an '08 on my hoist at work right now for that very campaign. The shock/strut replacement isn't too bad, it's the refill procedure thats tedious. You have to do it EXACTLY right or.......................You should see the piece of equipment to do the fill/bleed. Looks like something out of a mad scienstists laboratory! As for the new design shocks, Audi and KYB worked closely to ensure the new ones should last the life of the car (unless you go 500,000 miles or something!)

As for your brake vibration, the DRC has nothing to do with that. My first thought is the front rotors are warped or have excessive thickness variation. It's common on RS4, especially those that are used for "spirited" driving! In most cases, we've had enough rotor thickness to safely machine them. I have no idea what new rotors would cost but, I'm sure it's more than a regular A4!

Last edited by aspen79; 08-04-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:55 AM
1st Gear

Many thanks for the info. For comparison purposes, what would be the "symptoms" of front shocks that leak/bleed too much? Also, is there a practical way to test whether the dealer did a proper job replacing them(esp. the crucial refill)? As it is I had to take the car in three times before DRC replacement, and this is becoming a bit frustrating.

As for the noise/vibration (mostly when braking in stop-go traffic, but sometimes at highway speeds too), warped rotors was the first thing that came to mind. So far the dealer's response has been negative. If any other ideas come to mind, please share. Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

Hi Enonymous

I have faced the same problems with the front brakes, however that was after track use where I had not given the brakes enough time to cool down before I parked the car. Material from the overheated stock brake pads can then embed in the rotors (belive it or not). If it happen resently you can actually see it on the rotor, but after a while it is not easy to see.

Nevertheless, the damage has already taken place and vibrasion will not stop before the rotors has been machined and you may have to start over with a new set of brake pads.

I have tracked by car a few times, the most fun I have ever had in a car, but it is rough on the front brakes. I have changed rotors 2 times and pads maybe 4 times, but they were ont to save. One time the rotors were full of hairline cracks, and the other set were worn down.

Prices for rotors are app USD 700 a set and pads are around USD 500 a set, just for your info.

Anyway, wish you all the best with your RS4 and if you have not had it at a track yet, get at it, Audi Club North America has a lot of good and safe performance driving events, they are lots of fun.

Enjoy!

Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 AM
1st Gear

Lars - thanks - that's good information.

I'm heading to the track (Mid Ohio) next weekend. I've already started my search for new pads and rotors!

Chip

Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 AM
1st Gear

Lars, thanks from me as well, that's a great tip--and something to keep in mind after "spirited driving"! Sounds like you 're getting the most out of your RS4. I am trying to get there, it's a truly unique machine.

Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by Enonymous
Many thanks for the info. For comparison purposes, what would be the "symptoms" of front shocks that leak/bleed too much? Also, is there a practical way to test whether the dealer did a proper job replacing them(esp. the crucial refill)? As it is I had to take the car in three times before DRC replacement, and this is becoming a bit frustrating.

As for the noise/vibration (mostly when braking in stop-go traffic, but sometimes at highway speeds too), warped rotors was the first thing that came to mind. So far the dealer's response has been negative. If any other ideas come to mind, please share. Thanks again.
You'll notice if they weren't properly filled...

the suspension will feel spongy cause it has air in it. I've seen alot of RS6's come back, and even in a few cases re-done the whole recall over because there were improperly filled / vacuumed.

because they are letting any tech do the job, you just have to watch a video now and your "certified"

Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM
1st Gear

@AudiTek: Thank you! I have been paying attention to the suspension feel/handling and think (hope) they did a proper job. That said, it's pretty worrisome that an "instructional video" is all they do to ensure proper installation of such a critical (and criticized!) component! Do you know if the re-installation comes with any kind of warranty? The recall letter didn't say either way.