S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2001 S4 Heater blowing cold air

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 S4 Heater blowing cold air

Hi,

I bought this car from a private party earlier this year and noticed that the heat does not work. It blows out cold air no matter what setting you have it on. I've taken it in to have it looked at but my mechanic couldn't find anything wrong (he is not an Audi expert though). The air conditioning works prefectly and the engine temp is normal. I have gotten it to work for a short period before months ago, but recently it won't even blow warm air anywhere.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Ok, hopefully I can be helpful. So I had the same exact situation with my S4. And I read through a ton of forums saying that people would take out their entire dash ( 4 hrs. of work) and replace the heater core. For some it worked, for others it didn't. So after replacing my timing belt I decided to take a look at my car. And for some odd reason I figured I'd bleed out the coolant system to see if that would fix it. And it did! I think that the previous owner had the fluids replaced at the dealership and the people there didnt bleed it right. I hooked up a hose to the two coolant hoses going into the firewall to the cabin. Shot some water through there, but no dirty water came out. So I just bled the system using the little bleeder hole in one of the hoses and vwala, I had heat. So hopefully doing this for you will work. I was an idiot and went through an entire Michigan winter with no heat. And now that I found out thats all I had to do, I really feel dumb. Oh well, I'm prepared now.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 PM
2nd Gear

i dont have a clue...but good luck sir!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM

^ always encouraging haha Dude I was gonna say the heater core but... you know audi like drobrt said. Its your guess now after those two, I now lost faith since he said draining it could fix it.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear

It could be the flap too, that diverts air through the heater core. I have a Saab with that problem, the piece of **** will blow ice-cold air in the middle of the Colorado winter. Then in the summer when it's 95 degrees outside, the AC will be working great, then the piece of **** will just decide that it wants to blow hot air. Very frustrating. Mine is an issue with the climate control unit...you may have a similar problem. However, I would bleed the cooling system first. The climate control unit is not cheap. You can also scan the climate control unit for codes.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
1st Gear
Default Did you ever find the cause of your heater problem

I also have a heater that blows cold air. I guess I'll start with bleeding the entire system and replacing the coolant with OEM. Then what?

Climate control flap issue aside, I've read about heater blower motors that need to be replaced but not sure if this is my problem, since cold air does come out.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

I'm having a similar problem. My heat has been less and less effective since last year. im assuming that my heater core is going bad but i figure i'll try the easier fixes first. Which hoses going into the firewall are you "shooting water into"? And wheres the bleeder???