S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Anyone have Pioneer AVIC-Z2 head unit?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear
Default Anyone have Pioneer AVIC-Z2 head unit?

Sorry for the multiple threads on the same topic, but I've got it narrowed down now. To those following the story, this basically started with amp/speaker replacement leading to poor quality from the stock Bose system. So now...

I'm looking to replace my B7 S4's head unit and the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 was suggested as the best bet. I want it to work with my steering wheel controls, use XM and Bluetooth, and most of all provide good sound quality.I already have JL amps, JL 10" suband Focal speakers, plus theAudioControl LC6 processor. Looking for feedback from anyone who has this, or a comparable unit.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Anyone have Pioneer AVIC-Z2 head unit?

well first off your current setup isn't workingto its full potential ( thats if your using your stock bose head unit ) for the reason that bose are 12ohm speakers and your focal componets are 4 ohms even if they are 3 way arrangements. that means your bose head unit is made for 12 ohm setup. as far as a after market head unit working with steering wheel controls , i posted some where before a link to a product that SHOULD work for you. the pick of the pioneer would be my choice as well, from my experience they are more user friendly then any other maker on the market and you can tune so much of the sound that it is crazy. i dont have this setup in my audi but if you get the avic for a head unit with your current speakers and subs i think you'll be pleased, i been doing car audio since 5th grade and was mecp certified but never renewed just so you know.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear

alrigh yess4 finally logged back on audiforums.. well this is what i have in my car now.. I dont have a picture of the amps but they are the JL a1800 and the JL a4300... they are both mounted on the back right seat.
Name:  DSC00463.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  98.9 KB
Name:  DSC00485.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  63.2 KB
Ignore the two satellite antennas on the dash. I moved them into the driver side A/C vent... their gone (hidden)
Name:  DSC00476.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  121.3 KB
Name:  DSC00478.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  56.2 KB
Name:  DSC00469.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  77.0 KB

I love my avic-z1... i wouldn't really go for the avic z2 becuase it is exactly the same as the z1 but just more points of interest... Theres no way that points of interest are worth the more money. i don't even use that....

Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the input guys - very helpful. One last question, and this one is a reach, but...

Does the NAV link to the little panel behind the steering wheel? I'm really doubting it but worth asking anyway. I like being able to see the next direction by just glancing down.

Okay I lied, one more question. Can you copy MP3s directly off of a CD? That is, copy files to the CD and then copy them to the AVIC without making the CD playable. I don't have an iPod and can't see another way to get MP3s onto the hard drive.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 AM
1st Gear

no you cannot have the NAV link to the screen in back of the steering wheel... thats the problem,,, but for me the b5 its like a small 1/4 for audio and nothing just come up their... its not that tragic...

well you can have music on the cds. and they will record to the hard drive in the system. i mean you can just ptu the volume down and it will be recording haha. then later on without the cd in ... you just go to library and all the music will be there... by either album or artist.. or song.

Im very happy with the avic

Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 AM

i want a avic but not sure if i a d3 or z2 yet.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear

Wow ARI that's a serious sub. Can you get your spare tire out? My shop could only fit in a 10" but it's nicely mounted to the side of the trunk so I still have some space in there. In any case, I'm getting the Z2 on Wednesday and I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, the hissing sound has been getting worse so I'm glad I decided to go with the new head unit.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 PM
1st Gear

Re copying MP3 to the HDD. No you can't. You can copy original CDs but not MP3s. No mute button and the XM traffic feature is worthless--you need to have the emergency brake on to view. Graphics are weak for the money. Z2 is way overpriced in my book.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

dont get the d3 becuase there is no hidden cd slot and the gps is only on the disks not on the hard drive... if you want to listen to music you put the cd in but then if you want to use the gps you need to take the audio cd and put the gps cd in....... NOT GOOD cuase im a music lover... the only good thing about the d3 is the changing button colorss....

yeah yess4 i have extreme power with my setup i didn't really want to mount it in the car becuase i take it out when i do autocrossingg... I mounted the JL box on a bungee cord so if i need to change my wheels i can move the sub and pull the wheel out...

Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

another thing is you never need the handbrake on... for my car i just have the handbrake wire grounded all the time and when i start my car i do the headlight hack... ( turn them on and off 1 second) and every protection is disabled. i can watch movies, traffic, telephone options.. while driving..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone have Pioneer AVIC-Z2 head unit?