S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B7 S4 Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Default B7 S4 Oil change

Anyone have any link to a step by step instructions on how to perform an oil change on a 06 S4 4.2L Sedan?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM

i haven't found a link, but it's nothing difficult, i just did it on my b6 s4 last week. the engines are the same so i'm pretty sure it's the same procedure.
first, open he hood and loosen the oil filter housing.(it's located under the center cowl, or plastic cover for the engine. it's a black plastic cover with a big nut looking top on it. it should be a 24mm to remove it.) this will allow pressure to enter the housing and therefore drain all the oil, including the oil in the housing.
with that done, lift the car.
remove the oil drain plug, i believe it's a 10mm torx, and drain the oil. make sure you have something to catch the oil, obviously. and it's gonna shoot right ou!
after the oil drains completely, replace the drain plug washer with a new one (cheap insurance) and screw the plug back in. you need no more than a quarter turn to half a turn after it's finger tight.
next, lower the car. completely open the oil filter housing and replace the oil filter and the rubber seal that should be included with the filter.
next, close the oil filter housing and tighten it to about half a turn past hand tight. like the drain plug, don't overdo it.
after this is done, grab your 9.5 quarts of synthetic oil and slowly pour it into the engine. the oil cap should be on the right side of the engine top towards the front. i use mobil1 0w-40 synthetic, works fine for me. it's about 7$ a quart.
after you've filled the oil, make sure you've closed everything and tightened it, including the oil cap and oil filter housing. start the engine andl et it run for a few seconds or so. turn it off, and check your oil level. it should be just fine.
after this, you're all set. go out and take your s4 for a nice ride! get your oil circulating!
hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Default S4 oil change

It takes longer to get the damn skid plate off than change the oil. The one word of caution I advise is to NOT use one of those shallow oil pans with a small hole where the oil drains in that you get at an automotive store. The entire 9.5 quarts of oil come rushing out in less than 3 seconds based on the size (huge) and angle (straight down) of the drain hole. So you'll need a deeper than usual bucket, or you'll be cleaning up a mess. I know from personal experience...

Old 10-01-2015, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CJ179
It takes longer to get the damn skid plate off than change the oil. The one word of caution I advise is to NOT use one of those shallow oil pans with a small hole where the oil drains in that you get at an automotive store. The entire 9.5 quarts of oil come rushing out in less than 3 seconds based on the size (huge) and angle (straight down) of the drain hole. So you'll need a deeper than usual bucket, or you'll be cleaning up a mess. I know from personal experience...
Don't feel bad. I just did the same thing. I used a large drain pan, unfortunately it had the small hole. I also forgot to open the vent hole. (this is where my wife loves to say "And YOU went to Harvard....")

I'm off to the store to get some kitty litter after I finish.

I'm such a putz.

One quick question. the Hengst filter came with the rubber gasket. I know where that goes. It also has a tiny metal washer (Not a crush plug, that's much bigger). Any idea what its for. Except as a german joke... ("Lez ihm figure aus wo das goes. ha ha Dieter!)

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by dman928; 10-01-2015 at 06:53 PM.