S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Car Won't Start in the Morning

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:55 AM
1st Gear
Default Car Won't Start in the Morning

I got this problem with my car that I cannot guess what it is.

ONLY IN THE MORNING WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD, the car has problems starting. I turn the key, the lights come up on the gauge etc but then I turn the key more to start the car and nothing. absolutely nothing no cranking etc.

when i hold the key like that, sometimes, it starts after like 5 seconds. sometimes it won't start for like 10 mins then it starts at a random try. this only happens in the mornings. during the day, it doesn't happen again.

ALSO, at the same time, I hear a chain noise ONLY IN THE MORNING WHEN i START THE CAR. When the car starts, I hear a chain noise from either front of the engine, or from the engine. but it just goes away right after. you won't hear the sound again during driving or when I start the car again during the day. i start the car, hear the noise but even if i rev the car, i won't hear the noise again. it is just half a second thing.

ANY IDEAS

Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 AM

That noise that you hear is apparently normal for those type of cars, i got an s3 2001 model and it does the same thing. Nothing to worry about, it apparently happens before fuel preasure builds up.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

it apparently happens before fuel preasure builds up.
Oil pressure...

The starting problem is most likely the starter or the cabling/connections. Look for corrosion at the battery, starter, and solenoids. If clean and tight, take the starter out and have it tested.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Oil pressure...

The starting problem is most likely the starter or the cabling/connections. Look for corrosion at the battery, starter, and solenoids. If clean and tight, take the starter out and have it tested.
+1 ^^^^^
It's either corroded terminals on the starter solenoid or your starter is shot. If i was a betting man, it's your starter. I've experienced this condition more then i would like to admit. Try cleaning the terminals and see if your problem goes away. If not your gonna need a new one.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
2nd Gear

k.. i thought he was saying that it would crank but not start.. and thats where i chime in.... sometimes, ill crank the car and it fires right up... sometimes it takes cranking for like 3 straight minutes before it fires up.. and the whole time i can see smoke out the tail pipes like its running rich.. then it finally stumbles and fires up.. i cant tell if im not getting spark at first and then the car is flooded when the ecu finally wakes up the icm's or the icm's themselves are not working properly.. oooorrrrrr... i have a code for an o2 sensor high resistance problem.. would that possible cause a no start condition??