S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

HIDs work, then don't work...then work again?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 02:29 PM
1st Gear
Default HIDs work, then don't work...then work again?!

Hey this is my first post...I searched around to see if anyone else has had this issue, but couldn't find anything...I just bought a 2000 S4 and everything was fine for the first couple weeks I had it. Suddenly, my right bulb was out. I figured it was a blown bulb, but when I went to have it replaced, I was told that a new bulb was put it, but it still wasn't working. Since the mechanics there were mildly retarded, they said they didn't know what the problem was. But that was ok, since 4 hours later, my passenger side light came back on! It's been working fine since then, but just yesterday, it went out again! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?! If anyone knows what causes this, please let me know!

Old 11-10-2005, 04:23 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: HIDs work, then don't work...then work again?!

Check the connections at and inside the headlamp. Clean them with a contact cleaner. If that doesnt work youll probably need a new balast assembly.

Old 11-12-2005, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Thanks, I'll check and clean the connections and see if that works! Although I complained to the dealership and they told me that they'd replace the balast assembly, should I just wait until they do this before cleaning the connections?

Old 11-13-2005, 05:27 AM
3rd Gear

More likely than not its the ballast. I was just giving you a cheaper possible alternative to try, as opposed to spending money on the balast. Cleaning the connections probably wont work but its just something to try if you have the time.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:10 PM
1st Gear

Well if that's the case I won't clean the connections-the ballast replacement cost is no issue at all, the dealer is buying and replacing it free of charge! Gotta love a warrenty...thanks for the help anyway though

Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 PM
1st Gear

OK the saga continues! LoL Well not really, I just had a dumb question about the ballast assembly. How hot does it get? The cause of my old ballast assembly going bad was moisture collecting due to a missing low beam cover (the cover that goes over the ballast assembly). The reason why I'm wondering how hot a ballast assembly gets is because I ordered the part, but I'm waiting for it to come in...in the meantime, can I cover my ballast assembly with a large ziplock bag to keep it from getting wet and shorting out again? Let me know your thoughts on this one guys, thanks!