S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Key Fob not workin b5 s4

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Key Fob not workin b5 s4

so i took the batteries out of my key fob to replace them and now nothing works with it. someone told me i would need to reprogram the key fob to the car. when i bought the car it did not come with a owners manual, and i tried a search on here and nothingcame up that could help me.

do you need to reprogram the key fob for the keyless entry or not? and if so how would i go about doing that?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:10 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Key Fob not workin b5 s4

Reprograming is easy.

Reprogramming Audi Switchblade Keys Craig Liess 2000 The previous FAQ entry on this item had some mistakes (and it confused the hell out of me) so I decided to make it a bit more user-friendly and add a few tips and pointers. I'd imagine these directions will work on any A4/S4 with the "switchblade" keys. If you own a TT, A6, or A8 with these keys, try and see if the directions below work, and e-mail me your results. These directions will allow you to reprogram your remote-control "switchblade" keys to full functionality. The '00 S4 manual claims that if you press the buttons too many times outside the range of the car, the key will deprogram itself. I don't know the reasoning behind this. You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

[ol][*]Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.[*]Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.[*]On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked[*]With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.[*]Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.[*]Open drivers door, remove key from ignition. [/ol] If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

Taken from Audiworld.com

Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: Key Fob not workin b5 s4

Hmm, I tried the above method and I still can't get mine to work. Replaced the batteries, went through the steps, and no dice. Granted I may have done it wrong... any way to tell if the fob just doesn't work or figure out what the issue is?
thanks

casey

Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM
s2b

Thanks was having a devil of a time deciphering the other methods (ended up with 2 dead keys instead of one) but followed your instructions and got both reprogrammed.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:17 AM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Holy crap. Thank you for this guide. Been bummed out all day but finally found your post tonight and gave it a go. The owner's manual was pointless!

So, how I happened to de-sync BOTH my keys this morning:

Both me and my girlfriend carry the keys and while getting ready to leave, she warms up the car while throw my bike into the trunk (I love the b5 trunk btw!). Note: My trunk lid was in the "locked" horizontal position from the day before. So, I had to unlock it with my key (while the other key was in the ignition with the car running). Little did I know, it totally screwed up the central locking unit and make the car freak out. The trunk lid wouldn't open, as well as all the doors. I told my girlfriend to open the door so she pushed the unlock button and still no go. I told her to use the inside door lever and it finally opened up the driver's door and I killed the engine to check things out. When I tried locking the doors with both keys by the remote buttons, neither worked. It puzzled me for quite a bit, but I was going to be late for work so I just threw my bike in the trunk and went on my way. As I had dropped off the girlfriend and reached my destination, I was going to lock up my car. Since my remote buttons didn't work, it was tough trying to lock all the doors, as I was paranoid. But I did learn that by turning the key to unlock your car, if you hold it in the unlock position, it opens all 4 windows! And if you are locking your car up and your windows are still down, you can close them by holding the key in the lock position! How cool is that?!

Oh well, moral of the story is: don't mess with the central locking unit. When the engine is on, all keys are deactivated for safety reasons. I screwed it up by manually turning the electronic key slot on the trunk lid. Lesson learned, I guess :P

Audi A4 1998 B5 pre-facelift 2.8 Sport pkg.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Default reprogramming a3 keys

Is there a procedure for reprogramming a key if you only have one key? A locksmith in Birmingham showed me one but I forgot to make a careful note of it.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM
2nd Gear

there is. On my 2001 you do something like inserting the key into the door and hold either the lock or unlock button for 5 seconds or so. Then without letting off the button turn the key to either lock or unlock the door (whatever button you are holding). Anyone heard of this method? I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment but I'll go look up the method if anyone wants it. I've had to do it because the fob buttons get pressed in my pocket.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

@jhuffman - that would be awesome.

I only have one programmable key for my 01 S4 and then another key that has no electronics in it at all.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jhuffman
there is. On my 2001 you do something like inserting the key into the door and hold either the lock or unlock button for 5 seconds or so. Then without letting off the button turn the key to either lock or unlock the door (whatever button you are holding). Anyone heard of this method? I don't have the manual in front of me at the moment but I'll go look up the method if anyone wants it. I've had to do it because the fob buttons get pressed in my pocket.
Hi, does anybody have anything else to add to this post, we're getting close to getting the correct procedure.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:19 PM

that was a good post - I didn't you could do that with the key in the door... I love finding new things!

Quick Reply: Key Fob not workin b5 s4