S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

MIL malfunction indicator light/ engine chk light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Default MIL malfunction indicator light/ engine chk light

My engine check light came on tonight and did not turn off. luckily I was not far from home. Its a MIL light or malfunction indicator light that looks like the picture of an engine when illuminated.

What could the cause or causes be? The engine has 64000 miles, could it be doing that for the 65000 mile tune up?

I tried to search the forums for answers, but it returned nothing.

Anyone else had the "engine check" light up? I also noticed that the oil temp gauge seemed to be pretty cold; no reading from the 6 mile trip it took when the engine chk light lit up. Since I was coming back from school, I didn't at all get on the gas or race it as I was going really slow on purpose anyway.

When I got home I turned the car off, and waited a little bit while I read the owners manual, then turned it on again to see if it was a fluke but the engine check light stayed on.....That's when I noticed the oil temp gage had suddenly jumped up a little from its previous reading of no change it indicated when I first started driving it home.

???

Old 01-26-2006, 06:22 AM
Default RE: MIL malfunction indicator light/ engine check light

for the mil/cel light to come on and oil temp gauge to show low "you have a major problem at hand", check oil level/coolant and get codes until then I don't recommend using the car

Old 01-26-2006, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

Same thing has been happening to me. My s4 has about 53000 miles on it. I took it to get fixed and they replaced the air mass sensor. Then about twelve hours later the same day my light came back on. It keeps going on and off, i dont no if its resetting itself or not. Taking it to get fixed in a couple of days

Old 01-26-2006, 05:04 PM

Well, I just got back from the Audi dealer.

Mine was an O2 sensor and they said that one of my bypass valves on one of my turbos was the wrong valve- possibly belonging to a TT or 1.8T......

So there goes about 700 bucks....

I'm just glad its getting fixed.

I'm also getting the timing belt done in couple of months....1,100 or so.

Old 01-26-2006, 07:06 PM

problem here is no one has got the fault codes so no one can help

Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 PM
c2d
1st Gear

I have the same thing with my S4. It only has 59k on it. Usually the oxygen sensors set the check engine light off. When the air/fuel mixture is incorrect the O2 sensor will sense that and set the cel light on. If you smell your exhaust while the car is running (not too long!) and it smells weird, then the air/fuel mixture is incorrect. The smells are hard to explain, but it can either be running rich (too much gas and too little air) or lean (too much air and not enough gas).

Or sometimes the O2 sensors go bad and cause a false positive which also turns the cel light on.

I can tell you my oil temp is pretty low on my S4 as well...so I'm not sure if that's indicating anything. I agree with avant80 that without the codes it's difficult to tell.

I'd say that if the car is acting weird, or making strange sounds, don't drive it. But if it's acting fine, then most likely a O2 sensor and the car can still be driven. Your gas mileage may suck, but the engine isn't going to seize on you. VW's and Audi's are notorious for the O2's.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Would running low on fuel cause the mixture to be off? I was in a hurry while traveling and let the gas get down to Empty? That is when the light came on. I have the same problem. The car seems to run great.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

My MIL came on 5 days ago, after i hardwired my new radar detector. the car has 70k mils on it and was running great. i thought there migh tbe a coincidence that the light came on after i messed with the fuse box. i took it to auto zone and they scanned it for me, no charge. A code came back and said my "fuel meter sensor" was the problem. i went to the audi dealership and told him my story and he said it could have been caused by my taking out of the instrument cluster fuse and it should go off after a certain number of "key cycles." however, it has still not gone off, though it has not started blinking, which is a relief. the car is running fine, i am getting normal gas mileage, and my oil temp has stayed the same (a little over 150, is this normal??? seemed a little low to me). I've had the car since the 68k mile mark and it is running just as good as it was from day 1, hopefully the light will reset itself soon, it really sucks when people see it and ask my why the check engine light is on [sm=smiley21.gif]