S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New Car - Help me De-Bug

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM
Default New Car - Help me De-Bug

just so I dont look like a complete tool when i got to the Audi shop to have it looked at, I just purchased a 2000 B5. It needs a few things like brakes and tires, and it has some little issues (i.e. a wrinkle in a quarter panel like 2"long).

These are the things that I'm sensing/seeing. If theyre normal, which IMHO some might be, let me know so I dont go in and pay for parts/$$$$labor that I dont need.

PROBLEMS

1. Car sat for a month, ebrake was on the whole time, and when I first drove it, it had a squeel that was ungodly. I took off the rim and caliper, greased the two pins, put them back in, sanded the pads, which are still good, and it stopped squeeling. Now the ABS light is on, and the BRAKE light is blinking. I put the ebrake cable out of commission, and pushed the spring back up, and its been good, but the lights are still on. When started it dings three times and says SERVICE! then goes off.

2. Center screen between tach and speedo is missing lines for lack of a better way to put it. It is difficult to read, can it be reset or ....?

3. When accellarating, the car almost bucks like a bull, and the same when I let off the throttle. Normal? It also does it when I put it in gear

4. It is pretty tough to get the car into 1/2 without pushing down on the **** like im going to put it into Reverse.

5. The engine temp/oil temp gauges fluxuate a bit, theyll go up to where they should be and drop down to really cool.

6. The timing belt has NOT been done, and that will be getting replaced, estimated $ on the job?

I know how great this Audi community is, and I know alot of you are techs, so a helpful comment would be much much appreciated from a guy whos never owned an import before (Camaro SS, FBIRD).. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

As for question #2, The failing lines is a very common occurance in our Audis. This also happens in the screen on the radio. I'm not quite sure what we can do to help fix it other than buy a new screen. Which costs an ungodly amount. My father did something to his that cleared up the screen but I don't know if he just got lucky, or found a much needed solution.

#6, every 70,000-80,000 miles the timing belt and water pump needs replacing. There are several kits out there such as ECS tuning, Vast tuning, many many others that have a single kit with everything you need in it. If you are mechanically inclined I would strongly suggest changing your own timing belt. Not only will you save bucko bucks, but you'll get to know you're car very very well. Not to mention you'll feel a lot better about yourself . Its really not very hard, just time consuming. There is a written page on an Audi DIY on the web that explains the whole process. Thats what I used. But a shop usually costs $1000-$1,200 I think.

Welcome!

Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 2000_S4_BITT
just so I dont look like a complete tool when i got to the Audi shop to have it looked at, I just purchased a 2000 B5. It needs a few things like brakes and tires, and it has some little issues (i.e. a wrinkle in a quarter panel like 2"long).

These are the things that I'm sensing/seeing. If theyre normal, which IMHO some might be, let me know so I dont go in and pay for parts/$$$$labor that I dont need.

PROBLEMS

1. Car sat for a month, ebrake was on the whole time, and when I first drove it, it had a squeel that was ungodly. I took off the rim and caliper, greased the two pins, put them back in, sanded the pads, which are still good, and it stopped squeeling. Now the ABS light is on, and the BRAKE light is blinking. I put the ebrake cable out of commission, and pushed the spring back up, and its been good, but the lights are still on. When started it dings three times and says SERVICE! then goes off.

Sitting for a month souldnt cause any problems, but maybe you did somehting accidentally while fixing the squeeking that did. Wat did you grease and what spring? Dont know if i can answer this one, but this is the ABS sensor FYI....

2. Center screen between tach and speedo is missing lines for lack of a better way to put it. It is difficult to read, can it be reset or ....?

This is a very common problem, the technical term would be dead pixles in the display. A fully functional screen is less common than youd think.... alot of people are in the same boat and unfortunatly to fix the problem you neew a whole new cluster which runs about $850 IIRC

3. When accellarating, the car almost bucks like a bull, and the same when I let off the throttle. Normal? It also does it when I put it in gear

Not normal. Someone else might have an answer. FYI a Vag-com (www.ross-tech.com) is an invaluable diagnostics tool. You can pull codes and do lost of cool stuff with it.

4. It is pretty tough to get the car into 1/2 without pushing down on the **** like im going to put it into Reverse.

Thats the 1-2 synchro, audi made the tolerances too tight so after a little abuse they lock up. It happens to almost every b5 s4 with the manual transmission. If abuse/ missed shifts/ 1-> 2 powershifting continues eventually it will lock up and you wont be able to get it in or out of gear at all.

Good news is usually every other part is fine. www.JHMotorsports.com sells a rebild kit with updated parts so it wont happen again for $1200. Theres a significant ammount of labor involved in removing and rebuilding the transmission, so it wont be cheap. But dont get a new tra
nsmission it will happen to that one also, just buy the kit from JHM and rebuild your gearbox. In the mean time watch your shifts and it shouldnt get worse.

5. The engine temp/oil temp gauges fluxuate a bit, theyll go up to where they should be and drop down to really cool.

Oil temp sensor maybe

6. The timing belt has NOT been done, and that will be getting replaced, estimated $ on the job?

How many miles, you didnt say? Under the hood it says change it every 75,000 miles, that might be overkill (i did it at 58,000) but get it done. About $1100 or so total would be fair, you can buy a complete t-belt kit from www.ecs-tuning.com for a fair price

I know how great this Audi community is, and I know alot of you are techs, so a helpful comment would be much much appreciated from a guy whos never owned an import before (Camaro SS, FBIRD).. Thanks!
My advice would be to vag-com the car to get a better idea of whats going on, based on that and what the shop says you can make better decisions. I would get the complete T-belt job done soon and whatever other sensors or parts to fix the bucking/jerking and abs/brake issue.

If "it needs brakes" i assume your talking about rotors and pads only? I bought aftermarket slotted rotors and some better pads. www.ecs-tuning.com has a pretty good selection in that department.

The transmission issue can wait as long as you need, but if you beat it its going to lock up alot sooner.

Also get a vag-com if i didnt say it enough.

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 11-24-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

Beat me to it drobrt!

Old 11-24-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HP Addict
Beat me to it drobrt!
Haha, I sound like a complete retard compared to your response though ;P

Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

the bucking is probably misfiring. Usually plugs and wires fix it, but I don't know if this car has wires or just coil packs that plug into the plugs. I would say get them tested, and at least put in some fresh plugs.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:36 PM
1st Gear

I think these cars have coil packs. But yea if it doesn't have to do with your transmission i'd say what Scott Long said is a possibility.