S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Remove the speed limiter for Free!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Default Remove the speed limiter for Free!

I was browsing around the interweb contemplating a chip for my 2000 S4 when I found this:
Audi S4 & S6 130 mph speed limiter."
When Audi first introduced the S4 car in late 1991 as the 1992 S4 it came with an all season tire package with 130 mph rated tires. As a car manufacturer how would you make the car so that someone doesn't end up suing you after driving the car over 150 mph blowing out the tires and killing someone.
It's simple. You hire a little guy to sit inside the car to watch the speedometer and when the speed reads 130 he pulls the plug. In effect this is just what Audi did, but they did it electronicly.
Some Audi engine turners would like you to believe that you have to buy their performance computer to get rid of this speed limiter; however, here is the truth of the matter.
WARNING! The following instructions will remove the S4 speed limiter. Proceed only if legal in your area. You must use Z rated tires on this car after this modification. You are also morally obligated to tell new owners about this requirement or put the speed limiter back before you sell it. You don't want a lawsuit any more than Audi. Please reread the Warning above. Speed is a serious thing.
INSTRUCTIONS TO REMOVE THE 130 MPH SPEED LIMITER
Under the computer you will now see a piece of wiring with a receptacle on the end with a plug stuck into it. The whole thing is held in place by a plastic clip. Carefully pull up this plug and receptacle. This is the engine coding connector. Pull out the plug and put the receptacle back under the plastic clip. Lay the plug on the floor of the plastic compartment so that you can find it when you want to plug back in the speed limiter.
NOTE:
The result of following of these instructions can be read by an Audi mechanic using the VAG 1551 Scan Tool in about 15 seconds. The coding of the Engine Control Module is 4 which is valid for both the U.S. and Canada. These instructions changed Coding 4 to Coding 1. Coding 1 is valid for European countries and does not contain a speed limit. (For the technically minded: Terminal 38 of the computer is grounded by the coding plug described above to obtain coding 4. This is accomplished by bridging terminal 1 to 4 of the coding plug)
Here's the page I found it on.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Remove the speed limiter for Free!

Works on a URS4/S6