S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

s4 boost level on stock block

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:42 PM
1st Gear
Default s4 boost level on stock block

hi,
i am thinking about getting a 2001 s4. i come from turbo cars (currently have an rx7) and i know what modifying can do to an engine. I was just wondering once you chip the s4 and possibly get a boost controller how much boost can the stock v6 handle, and also for how long it will be able to handle it. I dont know if you want to push high boost levels(15-20psi) if you need to build the engine for slightly less compression. any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: s4 boost level on stock block

I'm not a tech - so take my response for what its worth. My impression however is that lots of S4 folks put that sort of boost on with no problems (certianly not like those I've heard with the RX7 - shame too - great car!). That being said I've also heard of plenty of turbo failures - though it seems as though its a small percentage of everyone who mods. I wouldn't worry like I might with the RX7. Have fun with it! Oh and the Audi V6 2.7 is a tank...its the turbos themselves that are the issue - not the block or such being able to take it. Also - there are certain other upgrades that are recommended - Throttle Body Boot and Diverter Valves lead the list I think...and if your really into it you may want to think upgrading your oil coolant system (to RS4/6 or similar) and possibly radiator (to RS4)....etc - others here likely know better then I.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

most chips up the boost from 7 psi to about 17psi that tapers down to 15 later in the power band. the giac chip i have in mine runs that same map and I haven't had any issues at all. If you are going to run bigger turbos or use a boost controller rathe than a chip I'd advise to a fuel management system like the afc, or similar product.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:58 AM
1st Gear

ok guys thanks, that information was helpful. So if i do upgrade to bigger turbos (K04), the chips available wont be able to map the system to the turbos full potential?

Old 03-30-2005, 07:13 PM
1st Gear

If you decide to go with a pair of ko4's then a chip can be custom made to your needs. Take a look at the giac website they answer a lot of similar questions. If you were to run something like a t4 or other monster turbo you'd be better off with stand alone because then you or your tech can custom tailor different maps for any additional mods or conditions, etc. I'd try out just a standard giac chip first though, they're only 600 bucks and damn is there a diference. Thats the first thing I did when I bought my s4 and I'm still thrilled with the power increase it gave me. Plus the car is a lot more reliable with a chip compared to one with big *** turbos. Anyway good luck with the car.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

would upgrading to a bigger turbo, in this case the k04, put more strain on the engine? what kind of possible problems could arise from that if any?

Old 03-31-2005, 12:20 AM

geoff hopw long hav eu had teh chip and since what milleage? Did u buy it used? I want to get a s4 and i wnat to chip it but i worry about blowing the turbos. How long could i have it chipped before they will blow?

Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 AM
1st Gear

depends on how hard u drive it.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:48 AM

how about punching it every once in a while. I dont always drive fast but sometimes i feel the argue and i will step on it.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

if you only really beat on it every once in a while it will hold up just as good as stock. The reason audi's run such low boost is due to american car regulations. The turbos are strong enough to pull well over 10 pounds reliably. I've only had the car since december and I chipped it two days after i got it. I've had no problems whatsoever and I do a full system scan for faults about once a week since I'm an audi tech. (nice perk). My advice if you do chip it is to let the engine completely warm up before going full throttle and to let it cool down at idle for at least two minutes if you give it a good romping.

Quick Reply: s4 boost level on stock block