S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S5 headturner!!!!!! Public opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Default S5 headturner!!!!!! Public opinion

My friend and I just took out the RS4 and brand new S5 for a test drive in Berlin, Germany. The RS4 was a Nov2007 (€78k and 10,000miles), 420ps Imola yellow convertible, and the S5 was a 2008 (5,000 miles), 354ps black hard top. As a test car, the S5 was tripped out with every conceivable extra, and looked really great.

Amazingly we were given the keys and told to come back later. Nobody from Audi went with us......:::::;;;;;

First and foremost.... just some ABSOLUTE pointers.

The S5 sounds much better with the V8 belting out a sound so sweet and growly.... (even better than the RS4 in 'S' mode)

The RS4 is definately the much quicker car as you would expect. I will not go into any RS4 details as the car is legendary anyway.

I pulled up at a traffic light in the RS4, and a bloke in a BMW X5 pulled alongside. He had been following for a while and enquired as to the power of the S5 (which had gone across the lights). I thought WTF, this is supposed to be the real weapon!!!! When I told him that it had 354, and that the car I was in had 420, he looked really puzzled.

Simply put, unless your car looks truly amazing, then others seem to notice and base their opinion on sound!!!!

The S5 amazed me with it's instant throttle response, and constant acceleration throughout the powerband. I couldn't push the clutch in all the way when the seat was completely back...... and I'm 6 feet 9. NEVER HAPPENED in ANY CAR BEFORE. The low profiles were almost hard to see, but the ride was not uncomfortable. The interior is finished with the customary attention you would expect from Audi. No plastic feel like the R8. The ride position is low and sporty, but you still retain a great visual field.

I have seen the prototype RS5, and am somewhat confused as to the point of producing it. It sits between the RS4 and RS6, but will ONLY have 414ps. That's below the RS4!!!!! WHY. Can someone explain?

In closing I just want to say it was an amazing day out with 2 fabulous motors. For brutal performance the RS4 wins hands down. But the S5 is no slouch, and when you require a day to day car, then it's probably your best option.

Just don't expect to use the back seats in the S5.

Thanks for listening to my rambling. Now tell me what you know or think about either of these stunning vehicles?

Old 08-19-2007, 10:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: S5 headturner!!!!!! Public opinion

Can I take them both out for a drive too please?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: S5 headturner!!!!!! Public opinion

sounds like fun, wish you would have invited me