S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbo oil leak is that likely?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Default Turbo oil leak is that likely?

I recently bought an 01 s4(6months ago) its got close to 80k miles now and Ive noticed that it has a burning smell intermittently I took it in thinking it was a belt and I got to reports back one that the turbo is leaking oil and the CV boots are torn, Ive read here in various threads that the cv boot can cause this smell. I am somewhat skeptical about the oil leak in the turbo as this guy wasnt an audi expert and the car doesnt seem to be loosing any oil. Is a torn CV boot a possibility and if not is this leak something which can be repaired (in reference to the turbo) or is this a cause for replacement.

Thanks alot for your help.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:59 AM
Default RE: Turbo oil leak is that likely?

If a turbo is leaking oil, you'll probably notice it coming out of the exhaust. I have an 00 with about 100k miles and I know I get a small amount of oil in my intercooler plumbing, but it's not a huge deal and never causes a smell. If your cv boot is ripped and slinging grease everywhere (like on the exhaust manifold) it would definitely cause a smell. The dealer sells rebuild kits that come with a new boot, grease, clips, clamps and a new bolt and they work GREAT. I've done both front outside on my a4 and s4. Just take care of it now before the axle runs dry and you have damage, then you will have to replace it. You may also want to check and see if you have any oil seepage coming from the valve covers or something...

Old 12-14-2007, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, it's kind of common. It either leaks internally (turbo failure) or it leaks at the banjo bolt oil line.

More then likely you have a leaking valve cover gasket. Look at the back of the head on the passenger side, if there is oilly crap back there, it's leaking.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:28 PM

I've got the same issue - oil leaking from the turbos (dripping). Burnt oil smell occasionally. After 3rd time asking mechanics to find the source they finally found it. Quoted me C$7000 (!!!) + tax to fix (labor from pulling motor + tranny is the big cost). Called Audi and they quoted me C$3750 + tax. Then told me if only problem I'm seeing is the slow leak, not to worry about it... doesn't indicate impending failure. Should I take it into the dealership and have them diagnose it anyway? I assume if the leak is at the wastegate or oil line they can fix it without having to pull the engine...
If the leak is from the bearings, how long do I have before I have to start shopping for those k04's?

Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Cletus_Canuck

I've got the same issue - oil leaking from the turbos (dripping). Burnt oil smell occasionally. After 3rd time asking mechanics to find the source they finally found it. Quoted me C$7000 (!!!) + tax to fix (labor from pulling motor + tranny is the big cost). Called Audi and they quoted me C$3750 + tax. Then told me if only problem I'm seeing is the slow leak, not to worry about it... doesn't indicate impending failure. Should I take it into the dealership and have them diagnose it anyway? I assume if the leak is at the wastegate or oil line they can fix it without having to pull the engine...
If the leak is from the bearings, how long do I have before I have to start shopping for those k04's?
Actually, oil 'dripping' from your turbos may not indicateimmediate failure though it can indicateapprochingfailure it may not be the near future, but this is one of the initial symptoms of a turbo failing.

Oil in the wastegate is unlikely but not entirely impossible if the oil were coming fromthe PCV system through the boost signal line, through the n75 and then back to the wastegatepressure line. That's a very long route so it seems unlikely but possible.

Check everywhere else for leaks first. Try cleaningthe area up first and looking for leaks to make it easier to locate. If it is the turbos then you should probably hear the notorious turbo lady soon if you don't already. Let us know what you find out.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 AM
1st Gear

I had my valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner seals done about a year ago. I had that same burning oil smell, and you can actually see the oil drip from the corners of your vavle covers if you look closely. That is one thing that will cause that smell. Take a flashlight and look around your engine yourself to see if you see anything. If you havent had this done yet, go ahead and get it done, the smell and leaking will only get worse over time.

I now have a similar smell, and this time my indy mechanic says it is my driver's side turbo. I put a large piece of cardboard under my car after i came home from a trip, and sure enough I woke up the next morning to a few oil drips from the turbo. Mine are making a pretty strong whistle right now, and Im about to hit 85K miles. I'm pretty sure their life is about up anyways, I'm just counting down the days..

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem about a year ago. 60,000 miles I had my valve cover gaskets replaced and the burning oil smell quickly went away. Around the same time the mechanic told me I was experiencing some oil leakage from one of the turbo's, but said it wasn't a big problem. Right now I am experiencing a terrible odor(doesn't smell like burning oil) after I drive the car, and my driving style is relatively tame to say the least. Any thoughts?

2000 S4

Old 01-03-2008, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: joshpsu

I had my valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner seals done about a year ago. I had that same burning oil smell, and you can actually see the oil drip from the corners of your vavle covers if you look closely. That is one thing that will cause that smell. Take a flashlight and look around your engine yourself to see if you see anything. If you havent had this done yet, go ahead and get it done, the smell and leaking will only get worse over time.
Bingo. That's exactly what it turned out to be. Now I'm just looking for a cheaper place to get it done than the dealership (not going back to my old mechanic though)... on further reading this looks to be a *really* common problem, not just on the 2.7, and one that Audi's never owned up to. Oh well, at least it's not the Turbos...
Thanks guys!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:47 AM

I seem to be having a similar problem so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last week I had a bad smell and excessive smoke coming from my exhaust on my 2001 A6 2.7T (about 95,000 miles on it). Had it towed to the dealership and they said it's oil leaking into the intercoolers. My extended warranty will cover the turbos - woohoo that's over $3000!!! The bad news is they won't cover the oil lines/wastegate and installation which is nearly $1300!! The dealership recommends getting new lines and the warranty company says they won't cover it again if the turbos fail in the near future if I don't have it done.

My question - could these lines be part of the problem? Does anyone think it would fail again if I just had the turbos replaced? I really can't afford to spend the $1300 on this - especially if this isn't necessary.

Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm considering getting only the new turbos installed without the lines and just selling the car.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
1st Gear
Default oil in dv

hi all, been reading the forum for a good while now, and its helped this old 2.7 owner on quite a few occasions so thankyou all for that, but, as you probably guessed, i have joined the forum today to ask for info on a problem im having at the moment, and its this... i have an 2001 a6 2.7t, which has a boost leak im told, something to do with banks 1 and 2?, so with the info gleaned from here and other audi forums i replaced the throttle body hose, the old one doesnt appear to have a rip, but never mind,lol, and replaced the dvs today with 710n's, now the passenger side dv (im in the uk) was very oily, while drivers side was not, what problem / fault, does this signify please?
thanks guys

Quick Reply: Turbo oil leak is that likely?