S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

What's going on with my s4?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

Took it to the dealer for the dentist drill noise and they said it was the "secondary air pump" and that it is normal. Does this sound right?

Additional details: car only makes sound on cold starts and goes away after 30 seconds to a minute. Also is it normal to be able to hear the turbos when I speed up, it makes a sound like air escaping from something (wastegate maybe?)?

Last edited by gfro1234; 07-21-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
2nd Gear

no.. that sounds like a secondary air pump.. it shouldnt be too noticeable though.. but you can definitely hear it..

Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

Wait, You spent $7200 dollars to get your K03s replaced and transmission work?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
1st Gear

dealers are a rip off. find an honest mechanic that u can trust (which is hard to do) and buy all the needed parts online. u will get better prices forsure. stay away from dealerships unless ur rich and it doesnt matter.
Q???????
1. I have the same problem when i start my car it takes longer than usual to turn over. it always starts but lags forever. What can that be? spark plugs? it doesnt make weird sounds just takes a while.
2. another question... how can u tell that ur turbo kit needs to be replacxed without a gauge???

Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigern45
no.. that sounds like a secondary air pump.. it shouldnt be too noticeable though.. but you can definitely hear it..
Ok I think I'm probably just being too paranoid. I lose way too much sleep over that car haha.

And yep $7200 which my dad paid for me this one time but I will be looking around to find a different mechanic because I pay a fortune every time I take my car in.

@a4haze
1. I think we have different problems, my car has no trouble starting just a weird noise.
2. see this thread (especially the youtube videos)

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
2nd Gear

well all that a boost gauge lets you know is boost at anygiven time... if boost is not at its proper level, it could be a leak, could be wastegates tampered with, could be turbos.. i mean. that just gets you started.. then you could also check for noises and smoke coming out the exhaust.. you could even have proper boost level and still have a turbo going out.. i mean.. boost could spool up properly and hold properly but you still could have some bearings going bad..

Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM
1st Gear

I would recommend investing $250-300 in proper a Ross-tech setup, and minimum tools needed to do compression and leak down tests. You could save a lot of money in the future, diagnose on your own, post here, Audiworld, Quattroworld, Audizine for advice, then take action based on your findings. Motorgeek.com if you want to get REAL technical.

You will be at an advantage when you take it into the shop knowing that to some extent you've already pinpointed the issue.

As far as labor is concerned, i'm not knockin' you on that because I personally am in a situation where i have no garage space (live in the SF city) and i just can't jack my car up and start working on it, so i have to bow down to labor charges. But A4haze is right, build a relationship with a local mechanic - even if it means just calling them to ask questions and take it to them if your car is out of warranty. I personally hate driving to the east bay to get my car serviced but 034 has never let me down so I continue to use their expertise.

Good thing your pops got your back. =)

Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the good advice man, I take it to heart

Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear

You should definitely hear the turbos more when you accelerate. Also, they are noisier when they are cold, especially if you live in a cold climate. Are you just hearing normal turbo spool or are you really hearing the dentist drill? If you're not sure, look on youtube and see what a real failing turbo sounds like.