B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Found the hitch, now I need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM
1st Gear
Default Found the hitch, now I need opinions

Hi,

I own a 2008 Audi A4 2L quattro Sedan and I have this stubborn idea that I want to have a trailer hitch on it. After plenty of time spent on internet looking for the right one, I finally supposedly found the correct hitch:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-11164.htm

According to the description, it fits "2002 - 2006 Audi A4 Sedan and Avant Wagon" but the guy I wrote to at etrailer.com checked with the manufacturer (Curt) if this will fit my 2008 sedan and he said yes, it will fit correctly. I have the email as a proof.

Let me know what's your input on this (although it says there it will, I wanna hear second opinions) and please, please, please DO come up with pro and cons logical reasons of having a hitch, not something the you will think it will happen. I do not want to lit up the flame of war here, I want the hitch installed but I also want second opinions if this will fit or not.

Thanks.

Last edited by lipiciu; 12-10-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

I also found this hitch, which seems to have a more solid way to bolt on the car but the receiver looks entirely different.

http://eurohitch.es/index.php?main_p...products_id=25

You have the select from the drop down box immediately down under the correct chasis (B7)

Old 12-11-2008, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

No opinions at all? I'd be very surprised to learn this.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Default I have a hitch installed on my 2008 A4 Avant...

Where are you located?

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/show...ze=big&cat=500 is a picture of my hitch. It's a Curt hitch (http://curtmfg.com/) but fits a little different from the one in your link. Mine is attached via the exhaust bolts to part of the body, and the rear tow hook. Your one requires drilling of the spare wheel well.

I use mine for a Thule hitch bike rack and it works great. (http://www.thuleracks.com/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=916 Thule T2)

Last edited by a4audi4fun; 12-25-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.
I'm planning to tow bike racks as you and the smallest Class 1 trailers from u-haul; that's up to 2000 lbs, but I need volume more than weight - just some light pieces of furniture.

I'm worried that even if I attach mine from the spare wheel well it is not going to withstand the traction force. So if you could give more details how exactly is yours bolted on and on what locations of the unibody, it will be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I'm located in Henderson, Nevada.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Default Search this forum...

http://www.audizine.com

Go to this forum and do a search for trailer and hitch; you will see a ton of discussion on this very topic. Quite a few guys tow trailers with motorcycles.

http://fileresource.sitepro.com/file...382A1199AD.pdf - instructions for my install were located here

Last edited by a4audi4fun; 12-12-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:44 AM
1st Gear

I looked around online but can't find the hitch I have on my 2005.5 A4 2.0T quattro. I had my local mechanic put it on and I believe it was a simple bolt on assembly. I use it to tow a small sailboat (around 1000 lbs) and to attach a bike rack.

The hard part about the hitch was getting the wiring done. Apparently the electrical system to the rear is a low voltage system, while trailer lights need to be on a 12 volt system. Its wired with a step up box and uses the tail lights as a signal. Its worked well for me.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM
2nd Gear

imo, rent the uhaul truck, and get a roof rack for your bike, towing 2000lbs behind a sedan isn't the best idea there are alot of things that can go wrong while putting the drivetrain under that much stress

having said that....good luck

Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Imho, I heard that kind of opinions before. And heck, in fact as I write these down I have an argument with two of colleagues about mounting a hitch on a Audi A4. They keep forgetting that a car can be made to tow things, the living proof is how europeans do. But what am I saying? According to my esteemed american colleagues I should buy a beater W-10 3 mpg Ford F-350 to tow things, right? (There's a pun in there...)

There's the wide spread idea that if you have a hitch on your car your should even be able to tow horse trailers, therefore, given it's an Audi, it will break in bits in pieces. Well guess what? I don't have a horse trailer, don't intend to buy one. Having european roots I will:
- tell you and any other american INCLINED TO CRITICIZE ILLOGICALLY the idea of having a hitch on a Audi A4 that europeans tow crap around with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, you name it, including small trailers without no problems.
- buy a Westfalia hitch (an expensive one, indeed) that mounts on the body frame, NOT on the spare wheel well, like the american dumb version does. I'm talking about the Curt hitch.
- tow the heck out of it a class 1 u-haul trailer 4x8, maybe even 5x8, up and down and run circles around some Lexus sissies I have in my company's parking lot. Also expect that I'm gonna read Audi's manual and not tow more than 2000 lbs (although Westfalia's manual says the hitch itself could tow up to 4000 lbs) AND adapt my driving style accordingly.

So when I asked the hitch related question, it was regarding the fitting (remember the spare wheel well thing), NOT if I should do it or not. Almost all the cons opinions I have read so far didn't come with anything TECHNICAL and LOGICAL reasons why I shouldn't mount a hitch. Just air plane views like "your car will die in pain", "the drive train will disappear", "you'll avoid warranty", not even concrete scenarios with exact data, driving styles and so on. Something that will compel enough my engineer mind to AVOID a hitch on my car.

The only things I still have to clarify on the Westfalia thing is how to adapt (if it's possible) more types of hooks on it, especially because it uses a different hooking system than the american one and the electrical work that has to be done.

Other than that, I'm hooked.

Have a good one, I myself have it because I just vented it.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

And just to seal the things on stone, Westfalia is approved by Audi.

Quick Reply: Found the hitch, now I need opinions