B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Xenon Headlamp Dip Error

Old 01-01-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear
Default Xenon Headlamp Dip Error

Hey gang...first time posting on here but hoping to find some resolution to a new problem. I own a 2006 A4 2.0T and have not had any problems at all until this past week. First, my EPC and CEL lights came on earlier this week. Took it to Autozone and they pulled a code for either an engine control module error or an ignition control module error. I'm assuming that is not something that I can fix but will have to go to the dealer (damn, wish it was still under warranty).

Also, tonight on my way home from a friend's house, my left xenon headlamp wouldn't come on...dash gave me a warning of "left headlamp dip" and the bulb malfunction symbol popped up soon after. Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot that or again...if that is a dealer issue?

Any help/advise could be greatly appreciated...is this one of those things where i should go ahead and buy the VagCom?

Old 01-01-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Xenon Headlamp Dip Error

means your bulb is out

Old 01-02-2008, 12:06 AM
1st Gear

Thanks....obviously this is my first car with HID. I figured these bulbs were supposed to last the life of the vehicle. Ironic that the answer would come from someone in the same state

Old 01-02-2008, 02:33 AM
1st Gear

Xenon (HID) bulbs are rated at 3000 hours which will last most people a long, long time. However, if you leave the headlights on at all times while driving they will burn out sooner and since it sounds like you have decent miles on that 2006 already (you say it is out of warranty) I would guess the time is up. Other conditions affect the life of a bulb no matter how it is illuminated.

Speaking of, how is your 2006 already out of warranty? Just hit the 50,000 mile mark early?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Yes...I just hit 52000 last week. Never had ANY problems out of this car until now...I guess its like they say...they get past the warranty and get paid off....and things start going. Keeping my fingers crossed the CEL and EPC lights (Engine Computer Module Error according to Autozone) is just a simple fix....

On the headlamps...are these easy to replace...are they any different than any other headlamp replacement? The Audi manual said "requires special tools and should be performed by an Audi Dealer" but they say that about the oil and everything else too. Is there a good place to get replacement bulbs on the net?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 AM
1st Gear

Exact same thing happened to me at about 30,000 miles. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the bulb under warrantee. Def have to replace with another HID light. Obviously don't try halogen

Old 02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, I wouldn't mess around trying to replace the bulb yourself. If I were you, I would buy 2 bulbs from anyplace but the dealer(dealer charges waaay too much) I would reccomend buying the bulbs in pairs, just so the color matches(so you don't have one bulb a little different color than the other). If you buy the bulbs from vvme or whatnot, you can have the dealer install them and calibrate anything necessary for about 60 bucks.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

just saw that I had a reply on here today and remembered that I haven't updated on what happened. So...I replaced the left bulb, and it didn't fire up. I then swapped the good bulb on the right side to the left side and the left side still did not light up...took the new bulb and put it on the right side...fired up fine. Ended up that my headlamp module went out. New bulb off the internet $125....dealer having to install the headlamp module $695.40....There goes my income tax refund LOL. While I was there they at least re-flashed the memory for the recall they have on it.

Oh...and by the way..the bentley manual was very good at explaining how to get to the headlamps...if anyone needs to change out the bulbs...would highly recommend it to show you how to remove the airbox, how to remove the fluid tanks ect.....

Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for your post aublutiger. I'm have a similar issue on my 2006 A4 2.0T with Xenons. Most of the time my headlight just flickers (when stopping), but twice now it has gone out and I got the same message you did on the dash. Restarted the car and light came back on. Took it to a dealer, but he says he can't reproduce it. Looking at what this cost you I think I might take it back and insist they fix the problem before my car goes off warranty.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
1st Gear

Hey..yes, mine was flickering also....and then one evening I noticed that although I was inside my house watching TV...one of my headlights popped on and off. Essentially...the dip error comes on when the bulb doesn't fire. To replace the bulb yourself is not that difficult to do...I bought one from a local parts store for around $120. I followed the directions in the Bentley manual and was able to change it out within 30 minutes. However, mine was not a bulb issue...but a headlamp module assembly. My headlamp module repair was $695...it requires removing the front bumper cover, then removing the headlamp assembly and changing out the module....my guess is that your headlamp module is about to go out....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Xenon Headlamp Dip Error