Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Brake noise???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:18 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake noise???

Hey guys,

Brand new brakes on my '98 Audi A4 with a complete stock setup. They are the best of the best ceramic brake pads all the way around with turned rotors and everything, only problem is they make noise! Before I replaced the brakes, they made noise which is why I got them replaced in the first place. They were replaced at 31k miles, and my mechanic told me I was getting down to metal to metal! The new pads have been broken in so that is not the issue either. The noise seems to come from all four corners of the car only when braking. The noise is not a grinding or screeching, but just a sort of rubbing sound that is hard to explain. Has anyone heard of this noise before? It doesn't seem correct to me.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by MyA4Mobs; 07-23-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

I believe what you are hearing is just normal brake noise, especially with ceramic pads. The pads against the rotors is going to make a certain amount of noise (like a rubbing type nosie). Ceramic pads are fairly hard and tend to be noisier than standard material.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by MyA4Mobs
Hey guys,

Brand new brakes on my '98 Audi A4 with a complete stock setup. They are the best of the best ceramic brake pads all the way around with turned rotors and everything, only problem is they make noise! Before I replaced the brakes, they made noise which is why I got them replaced in the first place. They were replaced at 31k miles, and my mechanic told me I was getting down to metal to metal! The new pads have been broken in so that is not the issue either. The noise seems to come from all four corners of the car only when braking. The noise is not a grinding or screeching, but just a sort of rubbing sound that is hard to explain. Has anyone heard of this noise before? It doesn't seem correct to me.

Thanks everyone.
Did you say you had the rotors turned? B/c you don't turn soft metal rotors and that could be your noise. It is also possible that a piston is not retracting all the way causing the noise.