Suspension Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Step in and let's talk about it.

Lifting raising 99 A4 Avant B5. Bilstein HD

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Lifting raising 99 A4 Avant B5. Bilstein HD

I want to lift at least 2" in the rear and 1" in the front. Any suggestions? I found a few posts, but nothing really helpful. does anyone have the Bilstein HD? do the raise or just stiffen?

Thanx

Old 02-03-2011, 12:47 PM
1st Gear

Ya... that was helpful

Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Banned
Question is purely to

is purely to try wow gold prototypic assemblage, there is wow accounts earnestly no children, but also unuseable wow power leveling abilities, anyway, there are android tablet two hundred chiliad safekeeping, there are hundreds of .

Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

how to raise an audi, do at your own risk.

step 1, buy bilstein struts, HD or sport should both work.

step 2 remove spring perch from snap ring, small taps of a hammer work to move it.

step 3 measure desired height from original snap ring groove, cut new groove with cutoff wheel or similar tool.

step 4 reinstall snap ring in new groove and lower spring perch back down. reassemble and install.

i got the idea from a guy who lowers cars like this, he's done quite a few with no problems, if you're carefull there shouldnt be too much risk involved. i've added 1" to the rear of my a4, holds spring tension just fine, will drop the car off jackstands to verify it'll hold before i drive it. waiting on funds to replace the fronts with bilsteins also.

heres a pic of what i'm talking about.

fyi i dont think you'll be able to get 2" increase this way, maybe 1.5. the spring tension is pretty rediculous trying to get the bolt started. should increase the firmness a bit also. will likely make a thread on the results when i get the fronts.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Driftandburn: All you need is the Bilstein shock, no coilovers or anything? I assume the perches come with the Bilsteins.

Have you gotten around to the full right up. I am quite interested.

Were you using any spring compressors when you re-assembled the rear shock?

Still happy with the results?

I have two broken rear springs on my avant right now and I am trying to sort everything and do it all at once. Thank you.

Erik

Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

Excellent, Excellent... I appreciate the effort and time to make that awesome tutorial, DRIFTANDBURN... I am myself wondering how the mod is going? I am a few weeks away from doing this to my avant also... Trying to get before winter. will post any of my projects on here also.

Thanx

Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 AM
1st Gear

UPDATE: do not cut the strut housing! I drove mine very hard on/off roads and after 3 weeks one side broke along the new groove, no bueno. Not sure how my friend knows exactly deep to cut, but not worth the risk. Woops. Instead of creating a new groove, find some steel tubing that will sit on the snap ring. I used 2" exhaust tubing for the front below the factory spring perch (sachs struts) and it flexed a little over the front perch seat, but i think would hold up fine if sittig evenly on the bilstein snap ring style seats. Reminder though, i wouldnt do more than 3/4 spacer because the down travel will bottom quite easily. And bilstein hd's are 1/2" longer extended length, which would give you the most travel. I used a wall mounted spring compressor and was still a little nervous putting that much tension on the rear springs. I did 1 3/8" spacer in the front and didn't have any adverse travel effects.

Originally Posted by djcctek
Excellent, Excellent... I appreciate the effort and time to make that awesome tutorial, DRIFTANDBURN... I am myself wondering how the mod is going? I am a few weeks away from doing this to my avant also... Trying to get before winter. will post any of my projects on here also.

Thanx

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the update!

I have a question... First I am issuing a big disclaimer: I have not even looked at a B5 era A6!

Will the spring from a A6 Quattro Avant work on a B5 A4 Quattro Avant. It makes sense ride height would be similar but achieved through a slightly higher spring rate. On a lighter vehicle this should translate to a bit of lift. Does anyone know if this would work?
I have a b5 A4 Avant quattro in desperate need of some rear springs.

Thanks
Erik

Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

i got the concept from a guy who decreases vehicles like this, he's done quite a few with no issues, if you're carefull there should not be too much danger engaged. i've included 1" to the back of my a4, maintains springtime stress just excellent, will fall the car off jackstands to confirm it'll keep before i generate it. patiently waiting on resources to substitute the methodologies with bilsteins also. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 02-10-2013, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

I still have not attempted this, but i am excited to. My suspension surpassingly is still in great order, so it has not been necessary to upgrade my broken springs. I was thinking about the A6 springs. From what I have seen its that the b5 avant q has a rear suspension unlike any other audi. I did have a peek at a set of BMW 3 series rear springs that appeared to that seemed to be a little longer and same specs other wise at a junk yard. It being winter in new england, it gives me little time to work on my car in my free time with no garage. I was considering coil overs (custom made by me of course)

when i attempt it i will most definitely keep yall updated...

Quick Reply: Lifting raising 99 A4 Avant B5. Bilstein HD