VAG-COM (*New* section) Need some help with a VAG-COM? Have some good advice to offer others using a VAG-COM?

low cost VAG solutions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Default low cost VAG solutions

I am looking to help diagnose my new (to me) 2001 A4 Avant 2.8 (30v- 5spd) and was looking to get a low cost VAG tool so I can diagnose and delete error codes. I dont have a PC laptop, so I dont want to get the cable and software. Not looking for all the bells and whistles, just basics... I was looking at this :

Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Hot MaxScan VAG405 Code Reader OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS VW Audi: Car Electronics

any reports? are there similar products that I should check out?

thanks, matt

Old 03-14-2014, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default vag scanner

The Autel VAG405 is one of the best scanners because it is made for the Volkswagon Audi car group. I actually just purchased a Autel MD802 which is incredible. But I bought that one because I wanted one that does more detailed work. But the VAG405 is a very good scanner it should help with resetting oil lights as well as other major checks.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

What about this from ebay? Connects from a laptop to the OBD2 port. I"m not sure about how reliable the software is for the Audi's and I"m considering this option since I recenlty purchased an A6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KKL-VAG-COM-409-1-OBD-2-II-USB-Diagnostic-Cable-Auto-Scan-Scanner-Tool-Interface-/310651623301?hash=item4854479785&item=310651623301&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Old 06-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo .45
What about this from ebay? Connects from a laptop to the OBD2 port. I"m not sure about how reliable the software is for the Audi's and I"m considering this option since I recenlty purchased an A6.
And so it begins...

(see my response to your post in the New Members sub... LoL!)

Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Well that responce was NOT helpful to anyone!! Don't be such an *******. I myself have never tuned or messed with any VW/Audi tuning programs, however, I have tuned many cars. Over the past 15 years, I helped many tune GMC/Chevy's and I put my completley stock GMC Typhoon in a 12.2 1/4 mile. My Typhoon was the second fastest in the GMC community. I helped tune many Syclone and Typhoons & Grand Nationals over the years and I learned a lot helping others tune thier cars and they learned a lot from me. It's a WIN WIN if we all help each other. Point being, if your gonna have a forum to help others and we will have a great time and learn from each other. But ******* help each other, don't be an *******!

As far as the ebay cable, it looks ligit, however, I know nothing about the source code of VW/Audi & I"m sure I"m not the only one who has no clue regarding VAG-COM or other options. The kit I found on ebay "looks like it should work", maybe the cable will work with the Ross software? I don't know? Maybe you should simply responed with ....no, that cable system is a piece of crap BECAUSE OF ........Or the cable will work but the software sucks. Maybe the cable will work with the ross software. I don't know if the ebay kit is crap or will only partially work. And yes, I have been using the SEARCH fcn. Bottom line, ******* educate us OH GREAT ONE with your vast knowledge.

Bottom line, we are all here to help each other. Your comments helped NO ONE.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo .45; 06-05-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Last edited by farmhood; 03-13-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Yea, I'm not impressed with these types of responses either. What I have found is that the eBay cables will. of work with the vagcom software unless it is a specific protocol type. A lot of good info@ nefmoto. I'm torn on burning my own chip or just spending 600 on a proven chip such as the Apr stage 1. I do have the torque program for my droid which did pull up codes so if you ha e a droid all you need is the.torque app and an obd2 Bluetooth addapter that you Can get at Amazon. For. 15$ I have the.elm327 which.worms.great on my f350.diesel truck and my a6

Old 06-21-2014, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

Last edited by farmhood; 03-13-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Hi guys, I've got a great (and legal) alternative for you: use the Carista OBD2 app on Android, together with a cheap ELM327 Bluetooth dongle ($10-20). The app is free to download, but costs $19.99 if you wanna use the VAG-specific functionality (which includes reading/clearing codes from all ECUs and changing customization settings/adaptations). Total: around $30. I'd call that a pretty damn good low-cost solution

Note that only CAN- or UDS-based VAG models are supported. See Supported Vehicles | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Old 06-27-2014, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

How is that program ddifferent from the vag-com software? Sounds like it will do everything, or most things The Vag-com software will do. Torque will read sensors and clear codes but will not allow you to change anything.

I'm going to look into this software since I have a droid😊
Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: low cost VAG solutions