Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hey all you 2.8 guys *updated*

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 AM
1st Gear
Default hey all you 2.8 guys *updated*

A few weeks ago while trying to recode my trans so i could hold 1st gear longer in tip mode i stumbled upon another thread on Audi world.
(which btw I am only able to put it into sport mode and i can not recode it to hold first gear. It seems that codes for the 2.7 and 2.8 differ a bit.)

A member said that he had recoded his engine to think that it was an A4 and after that the car felt "livelier" throughout the entire RPM band. He also stated that with this, it modified the manifold changeover point and the timing.

I tried this with my car, and on the butt dyno it didn't really feel any faster at first but yes it did feel a lot more livelier and a bit torque-ier. Overall the car finally felt like it wanted me to drive it faster. So I was convinced that this "mod" really did work.

I just got back from a test ride driving around first driving full thorrlte, part throttle and in TIP. I then chagned the settings back to ORG, i definatly felt like the car was painfuly slow again through the same streets and situations. I then started to notice that in a particular stretch in the road, with the settings of the A4 it had reached a sliglhtly higher speed than that of the ORG settings.

I then restarted the car and changed the settings back to the A4. I went through the same streets and part throttle and tip modes i had gone through, and on I saw that yes the car did reach higher speeds and it felt more livelier and it didn't seem to drag on and feel painfully slow when i was at WOT. Now I know have not tested this througly enough to get any real data on this yet.

What do you guys think? Do you think this is simply all in my head that the car simply feels better?

heres the thread incase you guys want to try it out

http://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/700362.phtml

So while googling vag com I came upon a review that says you can do 0-60 time calculations and horespower calculations.

http://www.eurotuner.com/techarticle.../features.html

Does anyone know how to perform these tasks? Is the full version required? I'd like to try out and bust this myth of any HP gains or losses

Old 04-13-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: hey all you 2.8 guys

interesting....... since it really not worse buying tip to gain that extra 10hp, this might be good option.
if you research more and result, and maybe any issues I would like to know.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

i have had mine set up like this for over a year, i have not found any downsides to it, and have prefered the way it drives

Old 04-13-2008, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

Have you noticed any other changes? After this mod I seem to be getting more miles to the tank even though I had going WOT a lot more often it seems i've gotten more MPG than I would have before i changed the engine code.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:33 PM
1st Gear

hmmm I'm liking this... can't wait to get home and plug my vag................
well I gotta one thing I have to fix though right now but I'm gonna be doing both at same time

Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I would definatly encourage any 2.8 owner to try this since we have yet to see any downs with this mod since it is the cheapest mod you can do to your for car to make it more enjoyable.

Hopefully sometime in May when the weather is nicer I'll actually data log this with vag and do some more tests.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 AM
1st Gear

thats sounds cool, so I have the basic 2.8 in a A6 2000 so how does one go about doing this mod is there a tutorial?

Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Its on the Audi world forums, first of all you need a Vag Com. The real vag com costs $150 but all you need to do is go on ebay buy a cable for $20 and it will come with the free software or you can download it from ross tech. You then go into the engine control module and recode, all you do is change the last value from a 2 to a 1 and you're done.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM
1st Gear

i don't recall any increase in mpg, but i only do short trips and can't resist the throttle!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM
1st Gear

Did it to my 2000 Avant tonight. Does seem to be a little bit responsive...plus I hope that it increases the gas mileage.

2000 AUDI ADVANT
126k miles and counting
K&N Filter
Front suspension (TWICE)

Quick Reply: hey all you 2.8 guys *updated*