AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   1991 Audi 80 overheating - head gasket? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/1991-audi-80-overheating-head-gasket-28840/)

kazooee 04-04-2006 12:40 PM

1991 Audi 80 overheating - head gasket?

Just purchased a 1991 Audi 80 2 weeks ago. Immediately I noticed it ran around halfway between hot and cold and when driven in city start & stop traffic tended to get hot enough for the warning light to come on. Had the car looked at, mechanic replaced thermostat and hot wired the cooling fan to stay on all the time. He thinks its a bad head gasket even though there are no bubbles showing in the coolant. Anybody have any thoughts. Not sure I want to spend $750 on this car to replace the head gasket especially if it may not be the problem.

Audi90S2 05-03-2006 06:05 AM

RE: 1991 Audi 80 overheating - head gasket?

hey there,

first of all audi's are famous for cooling problems, which often pose quite a predicament even for the best mechanic. if the engine is overheating, you can try everything from changing the waterpump to changing the radiator to changing the head gasket and it still might not fix the problem. i once a had a A4 that i worked on for months and did everything possible but simply couldnt fix the problem until, that is, i put a new engine in it (which needless to say solved the problem).
you might want to try to get all the air out of the cooling system before you try anything else. all in all, audi's are great cars but the are definitely cursed in the cooling department. you might want to proceed with caution in getting your engine repaired. you might not get your money back. i hope this advice helps.

Frank

0fframp 05-03-2006 10:02 PM

RE: 1991 Audi 80 overheating - head gasket?

I doubt that it is the head gasket. Try using a cooler thermostat, I think the stock OEM is 92°C try using 80°C instead. Another thing, the 5-cyl models don't have the radiator behind the grill, but on the left side behind the headlight assembly as result you have very little direct air flow. Make sure that all the shrouds and air ducts are intact because Audi uses a real cheesy air ducts that tend to disintegrate with time.

car-zone 04-27-2009 12:43 PM

1991 Audi 80 overheating - head gasket?

Here in our site, you can get wide selection of Audi 80 Radiator for various vehicle makes and models. For great Audi 80 behr radiator advice and expertise, call us toll-free. We're up at all hours! If you need additional information about your Audi 80 New Radiator order, get in touch with someone from our customer service department at anytime! For the largest Audi 80 cheap radiator inventory online, shop with us. The main concern of the Audi 80 discounted radiators and the entire engine cooling system is to keep the engine block relatively cool in order to avoid overheating and seizure. Calling our toll-free hotline enables you to get Audi 80 Car Radiator order processing, advice and suggestions! Our customer satisfaction rate is second to none. You can be sure that your Audi 80 Aftermarket Radiators order will be accurate the first time! Most Audi 80 modine radiator orders can be shipped out the same day if ordered by 3pm! Conducting regular maintenance on your Audi 80 Auto Radiator can help lengthen the service years of your automobile. The Internet Race Pages has been around for many years. We know customer service, so give us a shot at making you a customer for life.