1993 90S clutch problem...could anyone test his?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:23 PM
1st Gear
Default 1993 90S clutch problem...could anyone test his?

Ok, I have a problem with the clutch pedal for couple of days. It sticks to the floor, it did it couple of times, and it only does it if I press it firmly while pressing the brake. I press it only about an inch from its original position and "something" just sucks it in all the way down to the floor (without further pressing it).

I didn't notice the following until the first time my pedal got stuck. I'm trying to see where the problem is and if some of you guys (with 2.8L 12v) can just try pressing your clutch with your hand, and tell me if during the first inch the pedal moves freely that'll be helpful.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 1993 90S clutch problem...could anyone test his?

the pedal is mounted to a shock of sorts ... i don't know exactlyy how it works but it's responsible for returning the pedal to orig position after you mush it down to switch gears or what not ... that thing might have failed

Old 11-12-2006, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Ok there is something like a pump/shock but I'm not sure if it's that...

I think that's my master cylinder

Old 11-12-2006, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

I have a video now take a look

[sm=feedback.gif][sm=type.gif]

Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 AM
2nd Gear

possiblly the slave cylinder ... have you tried bleeding the clutch ? i don't really know what to tell you

Old 11-13-2006, 01:37 AM
1st Gear

First I tried searching but there are couple of treads and none of them match my problem. I don't have a CD manual either. But I really thought there would be at least couple of people who know the answer for that question[:-]

Thanks InExile I haven't tried bleeding the clutch but I really have to "explore" that clutch system Is it very hard to get to the slave cylinder, from what I've read it should be on the tranny!!?

That's what I actually found today, and I really think it fits my needs:

Audi Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder
The Audi clutch master cylinder is located on the firewall typically next to the brake master cylinder and its primary function transfer the clutch pedal pressure to release the clutch. You will know if the Audi clutch master cylinder is failing if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal and the pedal slowly goes to the floor. The Audi clutch master cylinder also has a reservoir that holds the fluid used in the clutch hydraulic system. If you decide to change the clutch master cylinder it is a good idea to also get a clutch slave cylinder at the same time, as both units typically fail around the same time. Make sure that you always flush the Audi clutch hydraulic system every time you flush the brakes. Water is the enemy of the clutch master cylinder and if you dont flush the fluid, you will get rust in the clutch system causing the clutch master cylinder to fail. The Audi clutch slave cylinder is located typically on the clutch bell housing on the transmission and its primary function is to disengage the clutch when you depress the clutch pedal using hydraulic pressure. If you decide to change the Audi clutch slave cylinder it is a good idea to also get a clutch master cylinder at the same time, as both units typically fail around the same time. Make sure that you always flush the Audi clutch hydraulic system every time you flush the brakes. Drivewire has all of the Audi clutch slave cylinders in stock, ready for immediate delivery. All of our Audi clutch slave and master cylinders are at discount prices with free shipping on all orders over $50.00. Dont pay full retail for a new Audi clutch slave cylinder at the dealer, shop our online catalog and save up to 70% for oem and genuine clutch components.

http://www.drivewire.com/audiparts/c...rcylinder.html

Old 11-13-2006, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear

well the thing that you found sounds like a winner ... well if you're replacing the slave and master cylinders I would go ahead and do the clutch too ... you're gonna be there anyway and will not have to take the tranny apart twice when the clutch goes ... good luck

Old 11-14-2006, 12:01 AM
2nd Gear

but i would try flushing and bleeding first ... it might help ... break fluid is used in the cluch system too and if it's been there for a long long time the fluid might have absorbed some water or has been boiled a few times depending on your driving habits it might not bee doing what it's supposed to do anymore

Old 11-14-2006, 02:06 AM

does the fluid leak out someplace or the level went down. It looks like more to me to be a leak or a lot of air. or the hose, but I dont think so.
There is a spring that returns the clutch pedal.
It can be the slave cylinder and it could rusted. The master is unlikelly becouse then when you press the pedal it would just not ingage.

OH do a test. start the car, press the clutch and put into first and press so it would stick. then couple of seconds later would the clutch ingage?
thats the test for leaking.
If air, the clutch could not ingage, or the ingagment point would be somewehere neer the floor.
if sticking then the leak test would be negative, and thats all.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

Well, I don't think there is any leaking. I'm checking the fluids weekly and they are alright. First I tought I ran low on brake fluid and some air got stucked in the system, it might be so but I need some free time to check it.

When the clutch gets stucked (..to the floor), it doesn't actually engages. You can't really shift gears while your pedal is stuck.

Thanks again guys, I almost forgot about that problem since I haven't experienced it lately.

Quick Reply: 1993 90S clutch problem...could anyone test his?