AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   1993 Audi 90 Sport Quattro (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/1993-audi-90-sport-quattro-70609/)

fisch 07-28-2007 05:16 PM

1993 Audi 90 Sport Quattro

I recently found a 1993 Audi 90 Sport Quattro for sale at about 3000 in my area. I am new to audi so I have been looking at model specs and comparing other awd cars. Give me some feedback here. What is your opinion of this model? Does it tend to have more problems than other audi's? Also how reliable was the quattro system that year?

InExile 07-28-2007 10:45 PM

RE: 1993 Audi 90 Sport Quattro

yuo are about to buy a 15 year old car .. so think before asking noob q's

fisch 07-29-2007 12:34 AM

Wow thanks for the feedback! But I am going to have to disagree with you. That was not a "noob" question. It is a fact that some years, even on 10-15 year old cars, tend to have more problems than a different year of the same model. For instance the 1996 land rover discovery tends to have more problems than its updated version. Now somebody who was about to buy a 1996 might want to know that and spend a little more on the 97. However you don't care about land rovers and apparently you don't know about audis. So I hope there are some smarter people out there who will appreciate that I am interested in learning the differences between different years and models in audi. I would certainly be kind enough to help someone if they came to me asking about different years and models for cars I had knowledge about.

kakarot 07-29-2007 07:04 PM

There are basic problems that car has, like heater core.

Its very reliable, but since it has 14 years on it, you might have random problems pop up. If you are capeble to fix the car, then get it, most problems can be fixed right on the street. We will assist you as much as posible with repairs.

I would watch for: Heater core, Timing change, clutch, body damage, upkeep (looks good or shit), some suspension bushing, shocks, CV joints, millage (mine is at 198K miles)

fisch 07-30-2007 11:58 AM

The car in question already has 216k miles on it. So that mostly turns me away from it. Even though the engine still runs strong I doubt it would make it to 300k. Do you agree? I mean is it common for audi engine's to last that long? Also I would be able to fix most of the problems on it. How difficult is the heater core to fix or replace?

kakarot 07-30-2007 10:28 PM

I wrote a manula basically on how to put new heater core in.
Engine would be fine, maybe a sensor or two might go on you.
I know that old generation german engines can last up to 500K miles, I never heard that audi 90 would ever go up that, probably couse not a lot of people actually drive them for that long. I would love to see the car last that long.

Anyways, millage can be a turn down, but if take your time and fix up the car, I dont see why the car wont last that long, or longer.
In anycase, you could do a refurbeshing the engine to bring it to 99% brand new. if you do it your self, then it would cost about 500 to 750 buks for all the needed parts.

InExile 07-31-2007 12:23 AM

the 1st thing you should be asking is the seller for service records ... after 15 years of good serice all the kinks should be taken care of .... ter is not a part on thet car that is prone to fail every other day or on any other car for that matter .... maintinance is what matter most on used cars

fisch 07-31-2007 04:47 PM

I am not really set up to be able to rebuild an engine so if it's current engine died I might just be out of luck unless I paid for the labor. The owner says he has all the service records so I will examine those before I make any decisions. Thanks for your help guys.

InExile 08-02-2007 08:55 PM

motor and the drivetrain are going to be ok provided there were reg oil changes and no driving with broken CV boots ... some bbushings might need replacing here or there ... check on those when you go for a test drive .... electrics might give you the biggest problems, but that can be taken care of with a volt meter

kakarot 08-05-2007 12:58 PM

From personal preference, I would just get it.
Would try to get price to 2grand if I could though.