AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   85 5000 Turbo NO START PLEASE HELP!!!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/85-5000-turbo-no-start-please-help-1070/)

Stinky 03-08-2004 01:25 AM

85 5000 Turbo NO START PLEASE HELP!!!!

Well guys this is my first time here. This is my second 5000T I have owned. Would have liked a newer one but cant afford it.</P>

</P>

Here is my problem. The car has been working firn for the last 4 or 5 months. No real signs of anything funny. It has gone on numerous 2000+ km trips with no problems at all.</P>

</P>

Last week my wife was at the store and went to comoe home. And the car would not start. It cranked over just fine, It had TONS of gas going into the engine. (you could smell ito pretty strong) I just had no spark at all. Got out my manual and continued to test the coil, all the plug wires, and everythign else I could think of. IO finally got it started, so I went to the local auto store and figured a new cap and rotor was in order. I changed those and sure enough it still wouldnt start. So long story short, I have no idea what the problem is now. I will list what I have tested, and what I thjink it could be.</P>

</P>

1) I checked the ecu codes by holding the WOT throttle switch for 3 sec with the key on. It turned up a code 3000 rpm/no cel. Acording to the bookc thats the hal sensor. I checked it all out, and it seemd to be faulty. So I got a new (used) dist with a hal sensor on it that was tested good. On occasions when the car wont start I can loosen the dist clamp so I can twist it and rotate it violently, then sometimes start the car. Once it is running it usually works fine until I turn it off again. I have come to notice that if my tach doesnt bounce when I am crankming it then it just wo9nt start. But sometimes it still bounces but doesnt start.</P>

</P>

I replaced the hal sensor harness with my own home made one I knew would work just incase there was a problem in the wiring. It still has not fixed the problem. I replaced the speed sensor, and checked it, and the rpm sensor. both check out fine. I pulled the knock snesor right off the car incase it was cauasing poor timing conditions. ( Ileft it plugged in still, just not attached top the engine). I checked all wiring to the ecu, and even tried a different ecu I knew worked!</P>

</P>

I styill dont get spark from the coil. But when the car is actuallyu running ai Get a very strong spark.</P>

</P>

My question is this: Is there another sensor that would make the car throw a code for the hal sensor, and NOT allow the coil to spark??</P>

</P>

Also, is there a way I can bypass the ecu's control over the coil, and have it going full blast all the time? Then the car would run wouldnt it? And what is the little peice coming off the coil on the left? I think its a transistor, but I dont know what it suposed to do. </P>

</P>

There is another problem I have started having lately as well. Sometimes my power windows ALL dont go up or down. As if there is no power to them. My sunroof also wont work at this time. If I turn the key off, and on again sometimes it will allow them to work fine, other times it wont do anything still.</P>

</P>

Could my problem be the ignition switch? Mabey it isnt getting the voltage out from a fualty connection inside?? Woudl this also effect the coil and how the car starts? And if this si the problem, then why would shaking the dist sometimes allow the car to start? Or is this just coincidence? What could I check on the ignition to see if this is the problem? and is there a way can just jumper something to allow it to work again??</P>

</P>

I wasd almost in tears this afternoon I am so frustrated. So please help keep a grown man from crying!</P>

rebell6900 03-08-2004 02:25 PM

my guess would be to puchess a new coil, there faily cheep and it cant hurt. also check the wires that go into it alot of times they will get old and make half ass conections.</P>

craig</P>

Stinky 03-08-2004 02:30 PM

New coils cost $300 AROUND HERE. They are only cheap if you have the non turbo models. I did try a known woreking coil on it and had no luck. Also I checked the resistance on ALL plug and coil wires, and they are all well within spec. </P>

</P>

If it was wire then the car should idle poorly and have bad acceleration. But once the car is started, it runs just fine. And wont usually shut off until I turn the key. A couple times I did have the car actually stop running, and that only happened when I came on to boost. Then it sputtered and died.</P>