AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   '86 5000 tranny (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/86-5000-tranny-1598/)

Lee Derby 06-08-2004 03:40 PM

'86 5000 tranny

My '86 5000 developed a tranny fluid leak. We took the tranny out and replaced the seals and both axles, as the boots were torn. after we put the tranny back in, it appeared to be leak free, but after driving it untill it warmed up it leaked badly from the vent hole in the top of the tranny. When the fluid was checked with the engine running and in park it failed to show any fluid on the dipstick. After the engine was shut off the fluid level returned to normal. (slightly low because of the leak.) Could this be caused by the throttle linkage being misadjusted? or does it bode some other problem? Lee

0fframp 06-15-2004 03:04 PM

RE: '86 5000 tranny

Sounds like the ATF level was wrong due to perhaps air in the system, there is a bleeding procedures for automatic transmissions. Low level causes the fluid to foam and I suspect that is what probably happened in your case. When you check the level, transmission is supposed to be hot, and engine running at proper idle speed.

Something to consider Audi's have a narrow chinsy bushings on the TQ and often leak in this area right past the seal. There is a service bulletin describing this very common problem.

Lee Derby 06-27-2004 11:48 PM

Thanks for the reply OFFRAMP.

I have an update. The tranny fluid is leaking from the breather hole on top of the final drive(differential). It only starts to leak after everything is warmed up.(about 10 min of driving). I know the tranny uses dextron 111 and the final drive uses a synthetic 90 wt.,and the two are not supposed to mix. My question is, "What separates the two fluids?. Is there just a gasket between the two or is it o-rings or is it seals on the drive shaft? Or a combination of all these? I,m going to try to take the assy out tomorrow but a little idea of what I might run into would be greatly appreciated. This leak only happens while the engine is running and the fluid drains back into the tranny after the engine is shut down, but very slowly. (like 10 min.) Thanks in advance, Lee Any help or ideas will be gladly received.

0fframp 06-29-2004 12:35 PM

My memory is a bit fuzzy, as it has been a long time since I rebuild mine. I think the seal is located on the pinion shaft. I do remember it being made of rubber but don't remember if it was a sealed ball bearing or a standalone seal. This seal is what separates the two types of fluid from mixing. Make sure you replace the bushings on the Torque Converter. Also look at AllData you will actually see a service bulletin about ATF leaking form the vent hole.

Lee Derby 06-29-2004 03:06 PM

Thanks again, offramp. I'm taking it to a xmission shop today as I don't have an enclosed area to take it apart and they will do it for $100 labor. Will let you know how things turn out. Lee

Lee Derby 07-02-2004 10:49 PM

Update!!! Got my tranny back from shop today. Both seals on pinion shaft were hard as rocks (there is one in final drive and one in tranny) and the differential oil was almost pure transmission fluid. I'm sure if it had been driven hard the differential would have failed, but that was not the case. Puting it back in car tomorrow. If anything interesting happens will update this thread. Lee

0fframp 07-03-2004 02:03 AM

Do you have the 3 speed or the 4 speed trans?

Lee Derby 07-06-2004 05:45 PM

3 speed. Why???

0fframp 07-06-2004 11:28 PM

I am familaiar with the 3-speed transmision, actually the 087 and 089 are very similar in terms of construction. A simple unit and easy to take apart, I have done it twice. I am not familiar with the electronicaly contrloded 4-speed.