AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   86' CoupeGT digital instrument cluter (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/86-coupegt-digital-instrument-cluter-35198/)

InExile 06-28-2006 05:40 AM

86' CoupeGT digital instrument cluter

The car has a digital instrument cluter which is malfunctioning .... gets really realy bright -> dimms -> goes out compleatly -> comes back on again ... when it comes back on again all the trip comp info is reset
1. Bad wireing ?
2. Instr Cluster itself is toast?
3. Other?
Does any one know anything about these Instr Clusters and would a mechanical one be plug and play .. I suspect that it sould be..

Thanks

0fframp 06-29-2006 12:39 AM

RE: 86' CoupeGT digital instrument cluter

Check the connectors going to the gauge cluster and the interconnections on the cluster, most likely that is the problem. Also check the solder joints for any cracks a.k.a. cold solder joints.

InExile 06-29-2006 02:45 AM

Thanks ... I'll check on that ... because my waiting to see if it's going to fix itself tactic is not working at all :)

Tandiey 07-12-2006 02:13 PM

Hey, just bought an '87 Coupe GT. The person who owned it before us described a similar issue, but now the instrument cluster is not working at all. Only the accessory lights. We took it all apart and checked all wiring and connectors and solders and fuses that relate to it. Still not working... anymore ideas?

kakarot 07-14-2006 01:06 AM

do you have power coming to the claster.

oh that reminds me
I WORSHIP HIS SHADOW

InExile 07-14-2006 04:35 PM

The Instrument Cluster was fixed/replaced by the dealer when the PO had the car. Now the prob is reoccurring. When the dealer fixed it, I know that the odometer was started from 000000 there is a sticker in the door jam that says that ... so the fixing might be a PITA, but I don't now for sure. I haven't looked at my IC yet .... but I think that replacing it with a mechanical IC (with needles and guages) would be the easiest and most efficent fix:eek:

Tandiey 07-14-2006 04:37 PM

Well I would assume so b/c the accessory lights on the cluster are working, but other than that I don't even know how to tell. The fuses for it are good, even though they weren't blown, we still changed them. Any ideas??

InExile 07-15-2006 05:53 PM

take the cluster itself apart and really look at all the pins and connectors ... use a microscope if need be .. look close at all solder joints try resoldering them ... i've heard that there is a manual for that cluster .. try asking a dealer for one the manual might give some pointers..