AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   88' 90Q 10V running problems (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/88-90q-10v-running-problems-6595/)

willistexas 03-02-2005 11:15 PM

88' 90Q 10V running problems

Looking for help. Was running pretty well except on occassion while accelarating in 1 & 2 gear the car would sputter as if fuel was shut off for a split second then pick up again. Car would accelarate fine in 3-5 gear. Only happened in first two gears. Revs fine in neutral or w/ clutch engaged. Now it wants to turn over and sometimes makes it to 1000 RPMs and the dies. Any suggestions???

0fframp 03-02-2005 11:31 PM

RE: 88' 90Q 10V running problems

Sounds like it might be fuel delivery related. Could be many things but check the obvious first. Have you replaced fuel filter, ignition wires, spark plugs, rotor and cap?

willistexas 03-02-2005 11:50 PM

Not yet, but am planning on trying this weekend if it gets over 28 degrees. The pump made all kinds of noise before it stopped running while going down the road. I've read other posts saying that the pumps are loud to begin with. This is my first Audi so I have no baseline to use, but I was leaning towards that. I'll try the other fisrt and go from there. Thanks

willistexas 03-05-2005 07:54 PM

All right.. new plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap and rotor. I can hear the fuel pump now( probably not the relay) and it still cranks well, but just won't turn over. As soon as I stop cranking it sputters once or twice. I just don't know what's next. On a side note I've cranked down the fuel line on the intake side of the filter however there are residual drops that fall. I've wiped and waited and it seems to take a few minutes for the first one to fall. No where I've looked has the right size copper washers. Whats your take on that? Thanks again

0fframp 03-07-2005 11:31 AM

The copper washers can be reused a few times then they eventually get too thin and crack. Many auto parts stores have them. Check the timing, both mechanical and ignition. I had a 4000S that skipped one or two teeth due to a seized idler/belt tensioner. The symptoms that you describe were almost identical. You could also have problems with the distributor itself, the hall element in distributor eventually fails or works erratically. Go to SJMautotechnik’s diagnostic web site for info on trouble shooting. Don't pay any attention that it is only for the 100/200/5000/V8 models, the engine management used on the 90 models is very similar to the 100/5000 non turbo models.

willistexas 04-15-2005 01:15 AM

Well the culprit turned out to be the diff pressure regulator on the fuel dist. Never heard of it, but it worked.