'90 CQ Suspension "waggles"

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 02:16 PM
1st Gear
Default '90 CQ Suspension "waggles"

I just had the shocks replaced (H&R springs with Boge shocks, springs from original replacement at about 100K miles shocks done at 299K). When done the rear strut mounts had to be replaced (one fell out as they were doing the job).

Since this work the car "waggles" in different conditions. It's like someone is holding the rear of the car and swaying it back and forth. The oscillation isn't that great, but it makes the car feel unstable. However when I drive it hard into corners it seems to set pretty well and I do not notice any looseness in the suspension.

I have had it up on stands and tried to see if there is anything obvious, but the rear tie rods seem tight, although the rear sway bar/link groans a bit I don't think it is causing the problem. The bushings holding the lower A arm seem pretty tight as well, although they are showing some wear, but they were on the car befire this symptom appeared, and it appeared suddenly.

I work with computers and whenever anything goes wrong we always ask the question: "What changed?". In this case it's the replacement of the shocks. Could they have used the wrong strut mounts or installed the strut mounts incorrectly?

Is there a way to try and isolate what the problem is? I originally thought that maybe the progressively wound H&R springs might have worn so there is enough weakness at the top of the compression to cause this, but I have been assured that would not be the case.

This waggling is most easily felt when traversing those depressions in the highway caused by trucks pressing down the black top, or in very windy conditions or in the wind turbulence behind trucks. It also evidence itself mostly with side to side or angular movement on the suspension and does not seem to occur when going straight over sharp bumps.

I know the car is ancient, but I have taken very good care of it (mechanically at least, the paint has suffered chipping on the hood and roof and faded somewhat on some panels) but I like driving the car alot and this problem just started so I am hopeful I can solve it and get it back to it's normal driving feel.

So does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I do not want to take it back and say figure it out, that would result in a large bill and possibly no resolution of the problem.

I am a very happy Audi owner and have two other Audis:

1995 Sport 90 Q
1995 S6

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Old 09-02-2006, 02:24 PM
Default RE: '90 CQ Suspension "waggles"

any pictures?? and sway bars do cause that

Old 09-02-2006, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

Not that I have, but I can make some.

The thing that has me wondering is how fast it came on. Before the shock replacement, no "waggle", after "waggle".

What should I take a picture of? I am thinking lower A arm, Strut assembly, Sway and tie rod areas. Anything else?

Ed

Old 09-02-2006, 02:46 PM

the shocks upper and lower , springs, did you use new locking bolts on the struts?? any pictures will help

Old 09-02-2006, 07:27 PM

like if you push your car on the fender, does it still wigle. and what happens when you push the top of the tire as well.
they probably forgot to connect something. or tighten. The quatro rear is very good one, one that I like. check the upper strut holder, that connect the strut and body together, see if the three bolts are lose. inside the trunk.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Here are some pictures. You might have something with the new showing up old parts. The ball joints, on closer inspection, don't look very good.
The strut tower feels tight at the top. No movement at all unsprung, and except for the groan and movement of the sway bar nothing else moves much or makes any noise. WHile not the best looking, none of th eother bushings look horrible. I did not take a lever to anything, not sure I would even be able to tell what is good or bad anyway.

Pix:

The one shot of the sway bar bushings is blurry - wierd angle & I didn't notice until posting it, sorry.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 AM

P1010059.jpg
there, the thing, does it move like left to right, use a crow bar, and try to lift it from the seat. if it goes, it bad.
I think its stering, but rear is not steered.
its probably stabilization bar.
just check it for now.

You simply need to check the car each of its rear parts, visualilly and physicly with a crow bar.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

make sure you have the right rear strut mounts and that the shock it self it tightened properly ... as stated above it's best to jack the rear end up and use a crow bar or anything else that will give you enough leverage to move or wiggle the rear suspension to see where the play is

Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear

check the front strut tower bushings too if those are bad then or not proprely installed then the car will deffinetly "float" from side to side