AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   ABS/Diff lock (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/abs-diff-lock-34290/)

Tina Ezzard 06-16-2006 11:42 AM

ABS/Diff lock

Hi
I have a 1992 quatrro 2.8 estate and am having serious problems with a intermittant fault. The abs light comes on without the abs switch being deselected. It's fine if I stay in a straight line but go round a corner and I get a thudding noise from the back, feels as if the back wheels are trying to lock. Had it at two garages on diagnostics but they can't find anything, they think it might be a diff lock problem but can't say for sure. Has anyone suffered this problem, any advise would be gratefully received.

Tina

0fframp 06-16-2006 09:45 PM

RE: ABS/Diff lock

Get the car on a lift and have the mechanics check the vacuum servo to make sure that it is not stuck in the locked position and is operating properly. If the servo works then have the switch and wiring checked. You should also check the differential oil level.

InExile 06-17-2006 06:44 AM

I agree with offamp

as far as the abs goes ... clean the abs sensors at the wheels near the brake calipers .. just take them out and clean them and don't be lazy ... it is easy to do if it work you're gonna save a bunch of money ... they get dirty over time and the dirt blocks them from operating good :)

Tina Ezzard 06-19-2006 11:21 AM

Thanks for info since seen that the diff lock light is also on with abs light. Haven't run it as scared I'll do damage to it The two garages it has been to for diagnostics haven't got the faintest idea what is wrong, could it be expensive?? or is it just switches/sensors?????

kakarot 06-19-2006 12:04 PM

my self, I prefer driving without ABS.
always gives me wrong sens, and when you check brakes, it sucks when works ABS.

just like 2 weeks ago, I purposly disconected ABS and checked my brakes, I never have guesed that my rear left tire was stuck. with ABS its all the same.

0fframp 06-19-2006 09:44 PM

Try unplugging the switch for the Diff Lock.

InExile 06-20-2006 02:39 AM

well the swiches an sensors can get expensive (ABS sensor one side aprox. 150$)

cleaning the sensors for ABS, checking vacum lines and wires that go to the diff lock is free :))

Tina Ezzard 06-20-2006 10:01 PM

Unfortunatley I can't get hold of a DIY Manual for my car so have no idea where all these bits are. Which is why I always took it to a garage to be sorted but after two engine rebuilds in the space of two months, I have really lost faith in garages. and now the other garages I took it to have no idea

0fframp 06-22-2006 01:32 AM

Just mention the city and state and someone just might recommend someone in your area.