AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Airbags? 1995 Audi 90 Quattro (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/airbags-1995-audi-90-quattro-11329/)

aluminumpork 06-13-2005 01:05 AM

Airbags? 1995 Audi 90 Quattro

Alright, my second post, just have to cover all the bases. I recently purchased a 1995 Audi 90 Quattro that had been involved in a front end collision. The damage wasn't bad and the airbags did not blow, neither of them. That's the good news (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise). The bad news (maybe) is that the Air Bag light is lit when the car is running. Is this just an indicator that the car knows it was in an accident and I have to get it reset? Or is this something serious (like the bags are on the -verge- of blowing, which would be no fun)? Anyways, any ideas on this, and is it anything I should worry about. Everything about the car operates normally, and the airbags and compartments are completely sealed.

Thanks!

Karl 06-21-2005 01:31 AM

RE: Airbags? 1995 Audi 90 Quattro

could be the sensor is bad.. or its unplugged.. check the connections.. see if you can pull a code to get more specific

naudi90 08-17-2005 03:16 AM

aluminum...thats too funny, i just dropped my '95 90 Quattro off at the shop for the exact same problem. the light on means (obviously) that the air bag is disengaged. what the problem looks like is maybe a coil or spring in the steering column that may need to be replaced. My thoughts on this were, if it was going to be an expensive problem, i would turn the light off and no airbags. depends on where your priorities lie i suppose.
peace
naudi90

naudi90 08-17-2005 11:13 PM

aluminum,
yep, mechanic just discovered the problem with the air bag light (for me) was a faulty cork-like spring in the steering column. Apparently the part new is approx. $500, plus labor. Used one around $200-$300. I said forget it, I wear my seltbelt, I don't need the airbag. Plus stock suspension needs replacing, thats more important with limited funds!
naudi90

0fframp 08-18-2005 12:37 PM

Usually the air bag is supposed to blow when you hit at pre determined speed, on my 91 100Q I believe it's 30mph or higher. When I bought the car unknowns to me the bulb was removed since this was first air bag equipped car I had no idea that the "Air Bag" bulb was removed and there was a problem. The air bag is also rated for ten years as there is an auxiliary power source that needs to be replaced and the firing charge might not work properly if at all. In anay case it’s big $$$ to have it fixed.

When buying a car it is always a good idea to do a bulb check, turn the ignition on and all the bulbs are supposed to light up. If "Air Bag" or "SRS" light doesn't come on, beware!

gmatov 08-19-2005 05:10 AM

Offramp,

Tell me about that one!!!!

Many years ago I bought a pickup from a "friend". Turned the key to fire it up, sounded good. Gave him 175 bucks, I did say MANY years ago, got it halfway home, the bearings seized. Fixed it, BUT....

I didn't turn on the key and look for the lights. Just started it. When I had it towed home, investigated and found that the "friend" had pulled the oil pressure sending unit wire off. No warning when running, as oil pressure "must" be good.

Had I turned the key and waited a few seconds, would probably have wondered why no light with key in "ACC" position.

Rule # 1. Watch your ass when dealing with "friends". They'll sure as hell screw you quicker than a stranger will. At least with a stranger, you start out suspicious.

Cheers,

George