AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   alright guys...new problem (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/alright-guys-new-problem-16415/)

audisloff 09-15-2005 01:58 AM

alright guys...new problem

ok...I have a new problem with my 87 5000 cs tq:

last night I went to see my girlfriend, well there was a thunderstorm going on and to make a long story short I ended updriving through like a foot of water...not cool...

well anyways my car ran fine the rest of the way there and the drive home but when I woke up for work this morning I couldn' t get my car into gear...

the hydraulic system seems to be working fine, the pedal comes right back up and has good preasure, but it almost sounded like my throwout bearing was making noise last night and this morning, this afternoon it stopped making noinse...

thoughts?...PLLLLLEASE HELP!!!

0fframp 09-15-2005 11:41 AM

RE: alright guys...new problem

It's a Quattro not an amphibious landing craft! ;) Audi's are not designed to cross rivers! Driving over puddles more than 6" is not wise as the sudden cooling of the transmission and differential can suck in water through the breather tube! I am surprised that you didn't stall in the puddle itself as I find the ignition electronics too vulnerable.

Where you driving in NJ on Rt3 last night, a notorious instant reservoir that the state refuses to fix. Actually we got quite a few of these miracle highways Rt 3, Rt 17, and Rt 22 just to name a few.

Does the car roll in neutral? With the engine off can you shift through the gears? If either the pilot bearing or the throw out bearing is worn and low on grease then even a minute amount of water will cause it to rust. I think the problem might be with the pilot bearing. I know first hand that a bad pilot bearing has a tendency to make shifting gears difficult if not impossible. Either one is going to be a bitch

audisloff 09-17-2005 02:14 PM

hehe, yeah, I know it's not an amphibious landing craft but in my defense, I really didn't know it was coming, I noticed it when I was half way throught this "puddle."

anyway, I just checked and it does roll in neutral. I can put it in first gear with the car off, but none of the other gears(prolly cause the was the gear it was in when I parked it. The morning after the "huricane" I tried starting it with the clutch engaged and the car in first gear and it lunged forward like the clutch wasn't working at all.....Thoughts?

gmatov 09-20-2005 01:44 AM

Did you mean the clutch disengaged, pushed to the floor, and it lunged forward? Engaged, it obviously would.

I've had the same thing, once on my Audi diesel, and again, on my s'in law's Dodge Dakota. Broken coils on the clutch plate center springs. A coil breaks off, at some point, you declutch, the coil falls down, gets caught between clutch and P plate or flywheel surface.

Can't disengage.

Hope it's not your prob, but sounds like it could be. Mebbe freakish to happen, now, but could be splashing through the little lake got water on it and caused it to crack off, from the instant cooling.

Cheers,

George

audisloff 09-24-2005 02:23 PM

nevermind guys, I "fixed" it...

I was going to just go start it to keep things moving and what not but before starting it I decided to slam it into gear a couple of times....after that I let the car get good and warmed up and went into gear....that was sunday, still working good today...my throwout bearing it making noise like an effin' banshee but I can drive my car...

0fframp 09-25-2005 11:20 PM

If the throwout bearing is making noise it is only a matter of time before the bearing disintegrates and causes even more damage. I hope that you don't drive on long trips hate to see that thing fail far from home in the middle of nowhere.