AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Automatic transmission shifting issue (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/automatic-transmission-shifting-issue-19215/)

mikerike 11-05-2005 12:44 AM

Automatic transmission shifting issue

Folks,
Another query.
My 1991 Audi 100 seems to be shifting late when going from third to fourth. The RPMs reach 3500+ before shifting and then sluggishly.
any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. At what RPMs should automatic transmission shift.
as always I know the information you supply will be helpful.

[&:]
mikerike

0fframp 11-05-2005 01:07 AM

RE: Automatic transmission shifting issue

It is hard to say when exactly a shift is supposed to happen or what is normal. If everything else seems to be OK then I would say it might be a bad sensor. The 4-speed is electronically controlled and you might be able to flash some codes out.

PS
Do you have the SPORT button engaged? This could be your problem.

mikerike 11-05-2005 10:36 PM

Offramp
When you state flash some codes out--what does that entail
What tools would I need to access the codes.
I have a OBD ll but that is for newer models vehicles.
I do know that on pre-95 vehicles jumping the connector will retreive codes-- is it the same with Audis

Thanks again,
mikerike[&:]

0fframp 11-05-2005 11:11 PM

Go to sjmautotechnik and follow the diagnostic link to see how to make a test light and I think you should be able to find some more information.

kakarot 11-06-2005 10:04 AM

just turn on ignition do not sratr the car, jump ground and L for 4 seconds, then run to your dash and count the codes. if 4 4 4 4 then all fine but if it has a code then it will repeat it self. this if you have only 2 x 2 connecr and a 'engine check' bulb is in place.
PS take pricoution, if you connect K line with plus then you will have a crispy fried ECU. both connectors are different shape.
how to do it best:
if you turned off the ignition then you have a problem. the ECU in most pre-95 didn't store codes, but rather stored it in the RAM. so yeach time you turned off ignition it would erase the codes. the best way to check it is to drive the car on the problem tou have, which is shifting into final gear to late. drive the car. then when you come to stop or parking, without turning off the engine flash out the codes.
If you have more that 2 connectors then you can check tranny individually, and you can follow the Offramp's link.
if you dont have the light bulb in your car for check engine, you can fabricate the check engine light, again you can see it in the link. I put an analog voltmeter on 15V and connected it between K line and ground.
also you can go to www.20v.org

hope it helps. :D

[IMG]local://upfiles/10191/8F1A3445F0464CA9A209E4A8AA43513D.gif[/IMG]

kakarot 11-06-2005 10:34 AM

also, chech the oil level and goodness of tranny oil, sometimes if there is not enough and/or its bad it couses to TC to slip a lot, and couse low pressure.
I always ca feel if it is slugish.

techbod 11-06-2005 03:38 PM

Audi 100 what???? 2.0 - up to 4.2, gear change will be significant on engine size if yours is a 2.0 its about right (heavy car small engine)

kakarot 11-06-2005 05:26 PM

I have 2.8 V6. and when I changed my rad I spiled tranny fluid by accident. when I drove her later on my tranny's lowest switch point were 2100RPM when I added fresh tranny fluid (blended syntetic) it lowered the shift to 1800-1900RPM. right now I think i'm going to switch to full syntetic becouse my fluid is light pink and it looks to like it a bit burned. any way I'm going to add a filter with tranny oil cooler auxiliry or just switch the oils.

techbod 11-06-2005 06:08 PM

plenty to chose from
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=dexron+iii&hl=en

mikerike 11-07-2005 11:40 PM

tranny seems to shift good when it is cold. that last all about five minutes, then it seems to only have third geari can shift 1,2,3 manualy but no 4 little frustrated thankyou for your help