AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Automatic Window Regulator 85 Audi 5000 S (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/automatic-window-regulator-85-audi-5000-s-2248/)

jaw174 08-10-2004 10:02 PM

Automatic Window Regulator 85 Audi 5000 S

Hey there!
i am the new owner of an audi 85 5000S. Woot!
there are a few problems, and one of which is the broken automatic window in the back seat, drivers side.
i took off the door moulding and suck to acces the innards, and looked at the regulator. from what i can see i understand that a steel wire connected to the motor loops either up or down, and has a small metal brick thingy in the middle to bring the window up or pull it down.

My question is...

are there 1 or 2 stoppers on the inside.... i can see on on the top side of the window thingy, but on the bottom side there is none. i can make the window go down, but then i must press the button until it stops spinning (up) and then i can pull the window up and push it from both sides up intill it is closed.

there are 2 options that i see

| wire
* Stopper
[|] Window thingy
* Stopper
| wire

or

| wire
[|] Window thingy
* Stopper
[|] Window thingy
| wire

this is where the wire is pulled up or down moving the window, which is attached to the window thingy... see what im getting at?

if there is only one stopper thingy, then that mean it has just slipped, and i can probably figure out how to pop it back in...

on the otherhand, if it has 2 stoppers... im not sure how to put a new stopper on it...

Anny ideas?

Lee Derby 08-10-2004 10:35 PM

RE: Automatic Window Regulator 85 Audi 5000 S

It has been a while since I did one but I believe the window glass itself has a bar on the bottom. This bar has a hole in it into which a pin attached to the wire cable is inserted. Then a washer and "E" ring is put into the groove in the pin. I had to use a little force to move the window glas enough to get the pin in the hole. Then the trick is to get the "C" ring into the groove and seated. A mirror helps to see what you're doing but it takes oodles of patience. But it can be done. Of course you have to take the door interior off first. If I can be of further assistance let me know. Lee

jaw174 08-10-2004 10:56 PM

from what i saw there was no pin, only a metal octogonal bar thingy with a hole in the center where the wire goes... maby i can get a picture...

jaw174 08-10-2004 11:45 PM

here is a pic of the stopper thingy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1776/B66935EAE2A44297BC5155C34E400F47.jpg[/IMG]

jaw174 08-10-2004 11:47 PM

hers the bottom of the window thingy... where is the pin thingy?.. the thingy with the plastic white cap?

confused

[IMG]local://upfiles/1776/E29D7FBF35D2449590D295CB0B960DD8.jpg[/IMG]

jaw174 08-10-2004 11:50 PM

hers the whole inside the door... see the dodgy interconnect for the lock? previous owner did that... i think i need to do the same to the pasenger side lock,cause.. it dosnt lock anymore...

[IMG]local://upfiles/1776/B7512B45DDC94C69AC7AF47AF938FC1F.jpg[/IMG]

Lee Derby 08-11-2004 12:17 AM

It's been too long for me to remember but the whole window up/down mechanism is easy to remove. there are , I believe 4 10 mm bolts and the 3 around the motor assy. I had to replace one complete assy because the wire broke. Once you have that assy out it's easy to figure out how it works and the best way to put it together again. If memory serves me, I think I put the pin into the window glass before I put in the 10 mm bolts and nuts. I think those "white caps" are the end stops. The pin is in a plastic slide in that same channel. But it's not visible from there as it's between the assy and door skin. If you still are confused open up another door as they are all 4 are basically the same. (right and lsft hand orientation etc.) If you can move the window glass by hand that pin is either not in it's hole or its missing. I rigged up my battery charger to power the window motor once I had it out of the door. Lee

jaw174 08-11-2004 02:00 AM

grr.. i was afraind id have to take apart another door ;)

do you know anything about the power sunroof? i think the switch is fine, because i checked the continuity of the switch and it seemed to amke sense, but there is no voltage flowing to it. i checked the fuse, and the i thought was it looked weird, but it wasnt broken yet... some of the palstic had kind of melted, so i put a lower amperage fuse in there so that it will blow instead of melt, so i know that there is a problem.. it was only suposed to be a 10 or 15 amp but ther was a 30 in it...

Lee Derby 08-11-2004 02:47 PM

The sun roof in mine never worked. The motor ran and it moved but would bind up almost immediately. The Haynes manual has a lot of wiring diags in it and one is the sun roof. Did you check in the bottom of the door for extraneous parts?. It looks that the regulator is probably broken. You should be able to see that pin with a mirror when you use the switch to make the motor run. it should be between the 2 white plastic stops, on the top whan window shut and on bottom when clised. Lee

jaw174 10-03-2004 07:02 PM

darn.. transmission went. any one need a 5000 S for parts? i have everything, and it (mostly) works, minus the read regulator and the sun roof wich only opens the po up part.