AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   A/C question (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/c-question-19453/)

kakarot 11-09-2005 10:37 AM

A/C question

where do you connect a rechargeble botle for AC on my car?
also I ask this becouse I had to empty the AC when I was changing my radiator. or the AC radiator its writen 134a for type of the system. is it true? or I have 12 system?
Tnx.

rhibdrivr 11-09-2005 01:14 PM

RE: A/C question

I have no idea what year your car is or what compressor you have, but on the older 90's, the low pressure side is on top of the compressor and labeled "S" (Suction). If its a R134a system, the connectors are different than the R12. They are quick connect type and different sizes...the low pressure side is smaller than the high pressure side. R12 system connectors are screw on type and IIRC the same size. Dont let the caps on the fittings fool you either, they are screw on caps on both systems so you have to remove the caps and look at the fittings. The low pressure side is where you want to connect the charge to. And if the system has been drained, BE SURE TO PUT THE CORRECT OIL CHARGE IN OR THE COMPRESSOR WILL BE DESTROYED!!!

techbod 11-09-2005 05:11 PM

RE: A/C question

the coup is the only 1990 model listed with the 2.8 engine here in the UK, low pressure service connection is near the A/C clutch and high pressure service connection is on the other side of the condenser and lower down height wise, a bit like general house plumbing high pressure at lower level and vent higher up

rhibdrivr 11-09-2005 06:01 PM

I think 90 is the model...not the year in this case

In any case, you are right on about the low/high side locations.

techbod 11-09-2005 08:35 PM

RE: I think 90 is the model...not the year in this case

ahh I misread it "Audi 90 " silly me

kakarot 11-09-2005 09:27 PM

when I was down there I saw something like the connector on the ac compressor, it was in the middle of the compressor on bottom half, if I remember correctly.
so for example if I put R12 into R134a it will destroy the compressor. what if I put R134a but possibly different company that wont destroy compressor, right?
I ask that becouse, well I dont whant it to go bad, The freon contains oil so it will help compressor to leve for long happy years. and make me happy too, during summer.
I saw R134a recharge bottle at autozone. its medium. what is the capacity of your AC system? to understand how much will I fill up with that small/medium bottle.

techbod 11-09-2005 09:43 PM

you cant mix them, up to 09/1992 = R12 after 10/1992 =R134a

R12 =650-750 grams
R134a non-coloured restrictor = 650-700 grams
R134a coloured restrictor = 700-750 grams

techbod 11-09-2005 09:50 PM

as you said oil is already in the cans so this makes up the difference and no need to worry about it

kakarot 11-09-2005 10:35 PM

I think the can is 500grams, so I will go soon to autozone and buy it.
it doesn't really matter what style r134a I will use colorord or not? they can both mix?
or just becouse I have empty system any one will go?

rhibdrivr 11-15-2005 01:41 PM

Cant mix R12 and R134a...The oil is different/incompatable and, IIRC, the R134 molecule is smaller and gets squeezed through the seals and "O" rings and causes leakage after a while or something like that. From what I remember, the proper way to convert is to replace the receiver/drier with new, replace all seals and "O" rings, and drain/flush the condensor, compressor, evaporator and all lines.

Most auto parts stores will sell you a conversion kit that includes the R134 pre mixed with oil, adapters for the low and high side fittings and some even have a gauge to tell you when you have a proper charge.

I know people that have just drained the entire system and filled with R134a and the proper oil charge and have had no problems. But convert at your own risk...or pay through the nose for a shop to do it.