AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Cabriolet trunk (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/cabriolet-trunk-46685/)

DRL 11-16-2006 02:16 AM

Cabriolet trunk

If you found my last post and responded, thank you, and please follow up again!

I can't seem to find my posts, nor can I find any search function in the #$%@# forum, so I'm forced to try this again.....

I just acquired a 98 Cabriolet and I can't get into the trunk. The button starts vertical, and I can turn it clockwise to be horizontal, and turning it slightly past arms the anti-theft. Turning it counter-clockwise back to vertical, with some added counter-clockwise pressure will disarm the anti-theft.

However, at no point in all this does pushing the button release the trunk! The local audi dealer suggested taht there was a small plastic rod that had come loose from the lock.
I had seen a post somewhere else that suggested that it might be the convertible top interlock, as a 'microswitch' in the top mechanism restricts trunk opening while the top is in motion.

Do either of these make sense to anyone? In the absence of any definitive answer, is there a way to get the trunk open by going in the back seat? I can't seem to get that open either.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

kakarot 11-16-2006 02:43 AM

RE: Cabriolet trunk

does your central system work? like can you unlock/lock all the doors? (with one keay)

RedA6Q 11-18-2006 08:40 PM

Not sure if you figured it out yet, but I'll offer what little I know.

It is true that the trunk will not open if the car "thinks" you are putting the top up or down. There is an interlock that prevents the trunk from opening during that time beacuse there would be mechanical interference between the boot and the trunk lid.

First of all, is the "Top" dash light on (I think it flashes)? If so, then the car "thinks" that the top is not either fully up or fully down. Try running it through a full cycle, making certian that the boot lid is closing down all the way properly (you should hear a click on each side). Try pushing down hard on each side of the boot lid just to make sure.

If that doesn't take care of it, try this. With the engine running, open the top partially so that the rear of the top folds forward and the boot lid pops up. This should allow you to see the top mechanism pretty well. If you look close, you should be able to see very small contact switches in the hinge area. I can't remember if there is any adjustment on these or not, but I'm pretty sure there is. You'll probably need a small jewler's flat blade screwdriver to adjust it. Also try just pushing on the switch with your finger or a screwdriver - you should be able to hear a faint click when the contacts open or close. I don't know if these are easily removable, but if they are, you could also try verifying their proper operation with an ohm meter.

I believe there is also a mercury-style position switch located on the underside of the trunk lid (driver's side, closer to the rear seat edge) that is part of the interlock system.

If none of this works, or you're not comfortable trying it yourself, the dealer should be able to connect to the car's computer and determine if all of the top switches/sensors are working properly.

As far as opening it through the back seat, I'm assuming you're talking about through the ski sack (there is no other opening behind the rear seat cushion). Either way, I don't think you could open the trunk that way because the mechanism on the underside of the trunk lid is beneath a cover that's screwed on.

If the top interlock is not the problem, it could indeed be that the actuator rod has slipped off of the lock mechanism. I have no clue how you would get it open in that case.

One last thing you may want to look into once you get the trunk open is the wiring harness that goes from the body up into the trunk lid. There are about 8 wires or so that go along the hinge area on each side. These wires have to bend each time the trunk is opened and closed, and then tend to break over time and become intermittent. This can cause all sorts of strange electrical problems that you would never suspect would be related to the trunk. I had to cut away the plastic wrap that bound the wires together right at the bend location, and then I was able to see that every one of the 8 wires was broken! About a year later, I had trouble with the other side (which caused the car to be locked in Park), so I would just do them both right away. It is easy to just solder them back together yourself, and believe it or not, to have the harness replaced by the dealer will set you back about $2,000!!!

Good luck with everything. I hope something I said here helps.

DRL 12-11-2006 09:20 PM

Thanks for the info. There's no indication on the dash or anywhere else that the top is open or in process. I've run the top through its cycles a few times, and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

I looked through the hinges and didn't see the contact switch. I had picked up a diagram from the dealer, which showed the interlock switch on the driver's side hinge, but I couldn't find anything.

I had the car in to a local dealer who said nothing about hooking it up to a diagnostic computer, but brought out 2-3 of his techs, who all stood about scratching their heads until one suggested that it was the plastic pins inside the lock mechanism that could be broken off. but the way the lock mechanism behaves, it doesn't seem like a mechanical failure. I'm inclined to believe the interlock logic.

Someone elsewhere had suggested that there's an 'emergency entry' procedure to get the trunk open, and that once completed, the dealer would have to 'reset' it. I'd be open to that, but I don't know anything more about it that the term.

This is making me nuts. The car is nearly perfect except for this, but without access to a spare, I'm reluctant to have my family tooling around in it.

Someone had also suggested the bentley manual as a good source of information, so I guess I'll look into that, but I can't believe that no one else has ever had this same problem!

DRL 01-13-2007 04:54 PM

It's been a few weeks since I've had the opportunity to deal with this, but I got back to it today, and have a few more insights.

The first is that after talking with three Audi dealers, it's very clear that they have many uninformed opinions, but no solutions.

With the top up or down, the trunk lock mechanism will turn clockwise and counterclockwise and will are and disarm the locks.

I can also hear the lock mechanism at the center of the trunk working when I use the remote to lock all and unlock all.

So, I don't think it's the key, and I don't think it's the roof interlock.

Most likely, it's the interlock mechanism that's disconnected. I had cut out the ski boot to see if I could get to the back trunk panel or a seat release (fat chance) and I found that the previous owner had jammed the trunk full of wicker baskets. I also can see that the back panel is enclosed, and I can't see the mechanism.

My question to you all.....
If I bash out the taillight lens or somehow remove the lock itself, is that going to get access to anything that would enable me to pop the trunk lid?

InExile 01-16-2007 03:05 AM

i vould have to say that breking the tail light will not help ... have you talked to your friendly neibourghood locksmith perhaps

DRL 01-16-2007 09:00 PM

I thought about going to a locksmith, and I might end up doing that, but if it's the internal linkage, I'm afraid I'll just be wasting his time and my money. Still, in the absence of anything else, I'll be giving that a whirl.

InExile 01-17-2007 03:04 AM

is there a possibility that the "junk" in the trunk is messing with the lock or in any other way preventing the opening of the trunk ... and how abaout if you turn the key and then try to push it inwards the whole lock barrell ( hte thingy where you stick the key in ) for the older cars the key hole also functions as a button .. turn the key to unlock then push inwards with the turned key then it pops open ... don't relly know what else to tell you crow bar or an angle grinder and then body shop:)

DRL 01-17-2007 01:59 PM

I think the junk that was loaded in the trunk did affect something, but I've been able to move it around, so I don't think that it's in the way of anything - more likely it knocked something loose.

I think I've just been too focused on finding a 'gentle' solution. It's time to think about how to do the least damage....I'm not well versed in breaking & entering, but by this time next week I will be.

InExile 01-19-2007 05:14 AM

consult a body shop first ... choose the least expensive damadge that will yield desired results;) and have fun beating it into submission:D