AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Clunking noise from front wheels (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/clunking-noise-front-wheels-59059/)

MagnusBL 03-30-2007 08:05 AM

Clunking noise from front wheels

I had some clunking and squeeking noise from the front wheels of my car (Audi 80 avant, 93, 2.0). I changed the ball joints and the breaks and the clunk and squeek disappeared:D. But...

now I think I hear a different clunk which comes when I drive over humps[sm=dontgetit.gif]. Different from the clunk of the ball joints which appeared when turning and starting. I am not really sure if the clunk is normal or not but seems to be a little to much clunk than what I would characterize as normal. Any ideas on what might be the cause this time and how the determine the cause.

Thanks

Magnus

derbarbarian 03-30-2007 10:06 PM

RE: Clunking noise from front wheels

suspension?

InExile 03-30-2007 10:49 PM

check out all the suspension bushings and strut tower mounts and bushings

DRL 05-04-2007 12:16 AM

My vote would be the Strut tower busings as well. Anything else you would have probably found when you were doing the ball joints.

naudi90 05-04-2007 11:51 AM

If you haven't changed your front strut mounts recently, that's your first problem. The OEM (Boge) are the best, a little more expensive but there is a fix along with it. Go to vintageaudiperformance.com to read up. (Not my business, but can vouch for quality of part)
Look at the strut in the strut assembly. Is there lateral movement? There shouldn't be, it should be tight in there, but sometimes the strut can move around. Replace if older then 4 years.
Afterthat, it's time for control arm bushings. You need to remove the arms, take the arm to a shop and have them press out the old and press in the new. Just do it, you will notice a difference immediately.
Then look at sway bar links. Probably notthe cause of the noise but worth it to do it now (since you are there).
You might as well get in the mindset to replace ALL this stuff now, so you know how old it is in the future. Plusyou will be removing potential problems before they start.
My guesstimate for all this work? Approx. US$450, but again, now is the time. Do it half-ass now and you will regret it later, trust me. I have been learning with this car for 7 years now, that's how I roll.

kakarot 05-04-2007 12:07 PM

I have a noise too, its sway bar links.
Identified by, if one tire goes over a hole or jump noise is produced.
When both tires go over identicall, noise is not produced.

If both tires go over identically, and produce noise, then it can be the ball joints, strut mount, control arm bushing.
Also if the strut inser is wet, it could be it too. I had it, strut insert was dry and produced noise as well.

geeezzzaa_uk 06-02-2007 01:11 PM

i would say it was the strut top mounts,jack up the car and wobble the wheel and see if there is any movement from the strut if it dosnt move then check all your anti roll bar bushes and other rubbery bits

audi10007 06-04-2007 01:39 AM

so if there is a clunking noise when you turn the wheels and back up, thats bad ball joints? i think i may need to replace mine then. is there anyplace online you can order parts by make and model for say a '92 100?

InExile 06-08-2007 04:40 PM

^ that would be the axels if i understand you ..... turn the wheel all the way and then go -> hear noises , clicking ..... check the cv boots if broken and no grease present than its an axel problem , still could be an axel prolem if the cv boot are intact