AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Fuel distributor not working (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/fuel-distributor-not-working-34878/)

bearddee 06-24-2006 02:21 PM

Fuel distributor not working

The car wouldn't start checked everything and found that the gas was not going to the injectors. A mechanic friend said to change the fuel distributor. I have one from the junkyard. When I started the first thing that I removed was an electrical connection in the front, that spray gas in my eyes. Then I thought maybe what ever controls this switch is not working. Where should I start to check out what the problem is?

0fframp 06-24-2006 07:11 PM

RE: Fuel distributor not working

Year, make and model? Did you just acquire the car or did it just happened. There are two types of differential pressure regulators used on Audi with CIS injection. Unless you get water in the system the CIS distributor is bullet proof. Did you check to see if the fuel pump is working and putting out correct system pressure.

bearddee 06-26-2006 10:09 AM

I have an 86 Audi 5000S KZ engine. I have had the car 12 years. It has 230,000 miles on it. The pressure to the fuel distributor seemed fine. I wasn't sure whether the fuel pump ran until the engine started. Water I'm sure Water would have passed through by now as much as I have tried to start it. Thanks Ron

InExile 06-28-2006 05:25 AM

I really really really really doubt it's the fuel distributor itself ... you can jump the fuel pump and disconetc a fuel line before the fuel pressure acumutator to actualy see if the fuel pump is pumping fuel or just buzzing

InExile 06-28-2006 05:28 AM

and the fuel presuure needs to be mesured (residual and system) ... seemed fine in theis case is not going to help in esatblishing if the fuel distributor is at fault

0fframp 06-29-2006 12:31 AM

During the initial turn of the key, the fuel pump pressurizes the system briefly, in the start position power should go to the fuel pump and it should run and continue to run once the engine fires up. When the ignition switch is in the on position and there is no tach signal from the distributor this indicates that the engine is not running and the fuel pump is shut off by the ECU. Do you have a good spark?

bearddee 06-29-2006 10:22 AM

The spark is there. The car will sputter when you first try to start it. After that it seems like no fuel at all is going in. Just the cranking no sputter.

InExile 07-01-2006 02:52 AM

Take out the spark plugs ... look inside the cylinders ... for puddles of gas ... if the injectors are bad then they will not hold proper fuel pressure and the gas is just going to leak in the cylinders ... as far as the sputer start that might be just the cold start injector "helping out" ... did the problem happen just sudenly or did it progress to this stage

bearddee 07-02-2006 12:40 PM

I'll try taking out the plug. This all started when I took out the instrument cluster. The odometer wasn't working. The new one I had was A little different, so I just removed the speedometer from it and put it in my car. There was some pushing and pulling of the speedometer cable. I noticed a vacuum line had come off, I replaced it. The car started and I drove home about 10 miles. The next morning it would not start at all. A couple of weeks before all this I notice that the car would stall the first time I would start it. Then it would start and run fine. This happened every time the car was cold.

techbod 07-02-2006 12:59 PM

well its and old lady but cold start injector??, fuel leak in the pipes causing loss of pressure, fuel filter clogged but im sure you done that