going thru issues list on 1997 cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:08 AM
1st Gear
Default going thru issues list on 1997 cabriolet

i got this vehicle cheap and it needs a bit of tlc so looking for some BTDT help on this car if possible:

1) lower door black rubber panels are shot and curled out on ends - $107 each from dealer!!!
2) seatbelts dont retract - tried talcum powder to no avail
3) ABS light on and pulling OBDII code
4) CEL light on and pulling engine misfire OBD II codes - put in new plugs and it seems to run better but still have CEL - injectors???
5) slight shudder when braking
6) idles a bit funny periodically like its gonna stall, but yet doesnt
7) floor mats are shot - good cheap source for Audi or rings (OOOO)logo mats??
8) antenna mast is broken off but motor still runs- $83 for new mast at dealer!! anyone replace the whole unit with aftermarket power unit?
9) wiring in trunk lid that leads to 3rd brake light, reverse lights,and license plate lights is malfunctioning. i found that its the black wire bundlethat runs along/near the hydraulic shocks for trunklid on drivers side. if i bend wire there around the brake light will work. as i move the trunklid up and down the lights will go on and off as well.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: going thru issues list on 1997 cabriolet

Antenna issue. Before you buy a new mast, disassemble the power antenna and take out the big gear. Run your finger along the inside of the gear to check for low spots. This gear is plastic and may appear to have all of it's teeth, but the drive gear is metal and does not mesh across the whole width of the plastic gear. The result is that when the antenna jams, the metal gear eats the plastic gear teeth, but not where it is readily noticeable fom a side view. The entire antenna assemble is in the $400 neighborhood from Audi.An aftermarket is cheaper, but I choose to hunt for a replacement from a wreck that had a good gear and rebuilt mine, and yes, I paid Audi about $70 for a mast.If the gear is shot, you have the same situation I did. Hope the photo helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18961/AECB8527BDC7417FA93587A9B31A8BC5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: going thru issues list on 1997 cabriolet

For the lower pannels.

Just pull them off. They slide parrellel with the car and come off completely.

Then there are clips, just pull the nips up and slide them off.

When they are all gone just wash your car there are little nipples sticking out of the bottom of your door but you wont notice them and it looks alot better than with the curled trim.

The trim i have found really doesn't have that big of a cosmetical or practical value.