How to change ignition lock tumbler an key on a 90....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 06:58 PM
1st Gear
Default How to change ignition lock tumbler an key on a 90....

My car is a 1990 audi 90 non quattro, automatic. It does not run, and I think I have it pretty narrowed. Well, I closely observed the fact today that when I turn the key tumbler (where you put the key to start the car) you turn it all the way to start, but the key doesnt shoot back, and its like its never going to the start position. I think I am going to try to put a new ignition tumbler and key into the car. I pulled the little rubber thing where the lock sits on my 90, but cant see how to get it out, how hard is it to change it?
Thanks

Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: How to change ignition lock tumbler an key on a 90....

search teh fourum .. has been disscussed

Old 08-26-2007, 03:31 PM
1st Gear

I tried, and have not been able to find a match. I appologize. Found out that it needs the box anyway. I have been looking for my fusebox on my 90.... I found the one under the hood, but cannot find it on the inside of my car! I see the sticker on the bottom of the dash, but cant find the inside fusebox anywhere? anyone know?

Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

Put the little rubber thing back where you found it. Remove the plastic shroud around the steering wheel that is held together by two screws from the bottom. Remove the two screws that are now exposed that hold in the instrument cluster. Gently work the instrument cluster forward and disconnect the connections or move it out of the way. Observe the key lock assembly and ignition switch that is now accessable inside the dash. Notice the two spots with a dab of colored paint. Scratch through the paint and loosen the two allen set screws. They are very small. Do not remove them unless necessary and don't lose them. The ignition switch will slide out the back. Disconnect it from its connections. Reinstall new switch and reverse procedure. The manual says you need to remove the airbag and steering wheel. I have found that not to be necessary. You do not need a new lock and tumbler as the return spring is in the electrical component of the switch, and that tumbler job is much more involved. I believe the auxillary relay (and fuse) panel is located behind the left lower portion of the dash. Remove the four screws securing the panel. There are mostly relays and only one or two fuses in this panel. I know I have posted the switch procedure at least 3 othertimes.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

But, my lock and tumbler is not on the steering wheel, its in the dash. After removing that small panel where the fuse box is, I can now see the tumbler and everything..... So I should be able to get it from there?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

Could be I am not familiar with your 90model year, but you be the judge. The lock housing that theswitch fits into has two set screws located on the flanges as shown in the photo. They are only accessable from above. That means that even though you can see the housing and the switch from below, you can't get to the set screws to release the switch. That's why theinstrument cluster must come out. This is pretty easy after you have done it once. The other photo shows the screws holding the instrument clusterin place. Steering wheel is removed for clarity. You can do this, just be careful with the instrument cluster.