AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   I can't believe this... (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/i-cant-believe-7325/)

Ignition 03-20-2005 05:21 AM

I can't believe this...

So I replaced my distributor cap and rotor... Today I was driving and all of the sudden the car dies again...
I open the hood and yep.. the wires that are coming out of the actual distributor are ripped. and the plug thing is broken. I took the plug off and will try to get a new one, but I don't think that will cut it... I don't know how to attach the new wires back on the distibutor.. i think i might have to replace the whole damn distributor and thats like $150.. and I have no idea how to install it....

HELP

0fframp 03-20-2005 12:14 PM

RE: I can't believe this...

First a cracked distributor cap and now torn wires? There should be a connector that plugs into the distributor so you probably don't need to replace it. Just go to the junkyard and cut off a piece then have the wires spliced to your old wiring harness. However I recommend that you check for something like loose or broken engine mounts.

Ignition 03-20-2005 11:58 PM

yeah thats what I'll try to do first. A new distributor is like $150. This car is nothing but trouble. I wonder whats the next thing that will go bad.

gmatov 03-21-2005 04:21 AM

What are you trying to say?

I think your last post was about a cracked cap and rotor. Offramp said you had to hit it with a hammer to break it. I agree, although a crack from age will suffice.

When you replace these things, are you cranking down the clamp that holds the distributor in place?

If these things are whipping around under the hood, I can't even see how you can drive them!

And, if they are not whipping around, how in the hell are you ripping them up?

Go to a wrecking yard, buy the right distributor, replace, and tighten the clamp. Clamped, the distributor should NEVER turn, even a degree, let alone "rip the wires".

Cheers,

George

They are no more trouble than any other car. If you don't know how to repair/maintain them, or a Ford, for that matter, you'll spend the same amount of time in the waiting room, and, at the dealer's rates for mechanics, just as much money. Learn a little about the vehicle. You are already at a very good source for help. Stick around.

Ignition 03-21-2005 06:22 AM

no the distributor is pretty good in there, and its not moving, the reason that i think that wires ripped was becuase the plug that they go in was broken and hanging loose by the distributor area... I'll just have to see whats up with the parts tomorrow..

Ignition 03-22-2005 02:51 AM

fixed the distributor, cars seems to run fine, idles fine at around 1100 RPMs... BUT, when the RPMs hit around 2500 - 3000 while driving or just reving this arrow in the dashboard lights up and I have no idea what it is. It turns off when the RPMs drop... what is it?

gmatov 03-23-2005 04:08 AM

Is it a stick shift, a 5 speed?

I don't know whether the gas jobs had a vaccuum guage to tell you it was time to shift up. Some American cars did.

The only Audi 5 speeds I have had were diesels, no shift indicator.

Possible.

Cheers,

George

0fframp 03-23-2005 11:22 AM

Up-shift indicator, annoying piece of *#$@& used by many manufacturers during mid 80's to early 90's on manual transmission cars. Some even had a little audio tone to let you know that it was time to shift. It's supposed to improve fuel economy by letting you know that your are revving the engine past the mid range.