AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   Kakarot - have you fixed the problem with automatic transmission (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/kakarot-have-you-fixed-problem-automatic-transmission-27259/)

audi_100 03-13-2006 11:16 PM

Kakarot - have you fixed the problem with automatic transmission

I have got the same problem as you i.e on my audi 100 '93 v6 2.8 auto too. it shifts smoth from 1 to 2 to 3 but hard on shift from 3 to 4 with a little bang.

I replaced the trans oil with full synthetic and filter as well. It does shift better now but still not as smooth as from 1 to 2.

Does this mean that transmission is demaged?

kakarot 03-14-2006 01:43 AM

RE: Kakarot - have you fixed the problem with automatic transmission

the bang = fast shifting. actually when the tranny getting old the clutches go away or get smaller. thously increasing the lag.

The lag is the time from when it starts to shift to the end shift. not like manula tranny wher driver passes through neutra, but it shifts while the other gear ingaged. A bit confusing but look at that as one gear unloaks while the other locks. and they intersect in the middle.

when the lag increases more the heat produced from the tranny also increased.
the 1 to 2 on almost all new cars have a huge bang in the morning when cold, I know of mazda 626 has the bang that can bang the brains out.
the 3 to 4 shift requires also for a lock up to get. so to the regular shift also a huge power output spike when this happens.
from a little practice I almost eliminated it.

well its easy. as you enter into highway instead of keeping it in D you downshift into 3 then you acelerate past 45MPH. as you get there you gently deacelerate or rev down like at 2000RPM then you ingage the D then it will almost imidiatly lock up and upshift without almost a feel. also you will get extra power becouse the power output increaases very rapidly at that point. at 1000 RPM there is 180Nm and 1500 RPM there is 200Nm and at 2000 RMP there is 220Nm all the way up to 2500RPM where it hits 240Nm and then all the way up to 5000 you get the flat curve.
Other
try the sport mode, it wond ingage the 4 until like 40 MPH not like on norm where it is like 34 or 35 MPH. Also to ensure long life try driving on 3rd in the city. Each time tranny shifts it gets more heat. and heat is bad. more that 50% of tranny failures is from heat, its writen somewhere. if you live in a city and get lots of stop and go then put an auxilirary oil cooler for tranny, for like 30 buks without fan. and like 45 with a fan. you be glad that you did. If you have an ultraviolet heat detector then after a drive check the temp, if its like less that 100C then okey more is bad.

some times I even shift into 2 to get even more power untill 80MPH where it gets at 6000RPM so its all cool.
30 to 80MPH in like 30 to 45 sec.

I have on the other hand a lazy tranny. the 1 to 2 is okey becouse it shifts very fast at very very low speed, but the 2 to 3 sometimes is lazy. The syntetic tranny fluid has much better flow when cold and great flow when hot. not to mention double the life spam. you get lower presure at cold less bang and more presure when hot more bang respectivly to conventional oils.

PS I need to post my oil article about motor oil its 5 pasges long and without any pictures, and probably write an apendix to it for tranny oil.
PSS be happy for the bang without it means the clutches on the way. any way then spend like 200 buks for the same tranny on junk yeard, and rebuild for like 200 buks, swap it and sell your old.

Note more info you need just search or ask it. I will change my oil also in like a month I wana let the engine clear, after the seafoam. and I got a hole in exaust now its like a race car with all that sound and vibration.

kakarot 03-14-2006 01:46 AM

PS the sport mode shifts a bid faster.

msa10 03-18-2006 11:48 PM

I have the exact same auto tranny shifting problem on my 1993 100 quattro. It has 160k miles. I use 3rd gear once in a while because the rpm increases all of a suddend and the tranny shifts rapidly instead of holding in 3rd. I'm planning on hcaging the tranny oil. What tranny oil did you use and recommend? Is it easy to change the filter also?

kakarot 03-19-2006 12:33 AM

hmm, sintetic always.
and filter is very easy to change but you need to knwo what tranny code you have becouse of the diferent filters and also the bolt on couse threr is 2 types 4 and 5 bolts.

I still havent changed mine but will. need like 4 quarts.

ah and you have already worn out clutches. it switches like it cannot get the gear, right. if you chahge oil it might help or not.

msa10 04-02-2006 03:45 AM

Anyone heard of Pentosin brand ATF? So its the clutch not the gear in the transmission? Mine feels like slipping the 3rd gear.