AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   neeed more power!!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/neeed-more-power-32592/)

quattrorolla 05-25-2006 06:40 AM

neeed more power!!!

hey fullaz, i own a 1989 audi 90 quattro and want more power but limited to options , the car being non turbo and all. any ideas?? i was thinking of stickin the audi 200 turbo engine in but dont kno if it will fit? any help would be appreciated. thanx

jmm 05-25-2006 01:49 PM

RE: neeed more power!!!

You can easily put 2.2T from Audi 200 for example :) Everything should suit ;)
U ve got five 2.2 turbo engines to choose MC 165bhp, KG 182bhp, 1B 190bhp, 2B 200bhp and 3B 220bhp ;)

kakarot 05-26-2006 12:49 AM

also you can turbo the existing engine, limit to about 180HP, considering 130 base power

0fframp 05-28-2006 01:31 PM

Here we go again! I want to make lots of power, $pend very little $$$, it has to be non-turbo, parts should be readily available, off the shelf and easy bolt-on. Dream on! To make HP you need lot$ of ca$h. How much HP can you get out of the 2.2/2.3 motor with turbo, up 1000+ and Audi supposedly had one before the Group B rally got canceled. The 1986 Talladega 5000 turbo put out 600+. Without turbo you can get about 300HP and it will not be streetable requiring exten$ive machining and cu$tom part$. You will need a cro$$ flow head with big valve$, $toker kit, cu$tom air intake, cu$tom exhaust, high compre$$ion forged piston$, racing camshaft, etc, etc, etc!

kakarot 05-28-2006 02:15 PM

offram you totaly right.

but there is always inexpensive way to get power. there is serious people about power and there is people who just want slightly more power, becouse they barely make 60MPH on a highway.

it is posible to turbo charge a car for less that a 1000 buks. the cheapest I heard was 700 dolars for evrything.

two flanges, turbo, air tubing cheap plastic, oil line, piggy back.
thats all ends up to like 30% power increase. and if intercooled to liek 40%.
and the dude took it to a shop for welding. the flanges

0fframp 05-28-2006 11:23 PM

Even if one buys a donor car for under $500 it is still going to cost lots of men hours to rip it out and transplant it.

kakarot 05-29-2006 01:25 AM

who said abot a donor car?
almost all enines can be turboed. the existing engine with some cuting and welding with basic concept of welding can turbo and engine.

0fframp 05-29-2006 01:04 PM

Donor car is the cheapest way to go, that way you will have all the wiring harness, brackets, ECU, sensors and all the accompanying parts. If one buys these parts peice meal it will cost big time. Turbo charging is not that simple, kakarot, it is very obvious that you have no clue what is involved, it is not a simple bolt-on project.

kakarot 05-29-2006 02:16 PM

I know whats involved. and ye donor cars are the chaepest and time consuming thing.
there is no bolt on kit for that engine.

I know that....

What I propose requires a friend with a car. whats you do is...
buy a turbo thats will work with the car. then buy both flanges. then mark the exaust where it should be. take off the exaust manifold. go to welding shop where they can weld it in. then put it back. then mark the placment on the exaust down pipe. then take it off. go back to welding shop and weld it in. put together.

then
buy the cheap easily bendable air tubes. oil tubes. and poiggy back device. like SMT5 which is like 50 buks now. there is only 6 wires on it.
then put the T conector where there is a oil presure sender. and put the sensor on the T conector and the oil tube from there. then dril a hole in the carter for return line.
turn on the piggy back set to defauuld. and dont forget the tubes. then styart the car. check for leaks and make sure there is boost, boost gauge.

then tune the system by the way you like.

this is a step shortener. its not as easy as it sounds. but can be done is a day. not to mention turbo can be taken from a junk yard.

and offramp, I dont say it is better, I just say there is alternatives. thats all.

0fframp 05-29-2006 08:21 PM

Do it in a day! Like I said before it is obvious...
You have stop smoking what ever you are smoking or fix that exhaust leak! [sm=alcoholic.gif]

The stock compression is too high on a 2.3L motor to turbocharge safely and still be able to run on pump gas. The exhaust valves need to be replaced with sodium filled ones. The stock FI system will probably fall short of delivering the correct amount of fuel at full boost. The distributor needs to be re-curved or reprogrammed. The cooling system needs to be upgraded with a high volume water pump, install turbo cooling plumbing and a larger capacity radiator. The pistons need to be replaced with lower compression forged pistons. The crank and connecting rods also need to be forged and or nitrated to handle all the extra power. Also some turbo motors have oil squirt holes that provide additional cooling by spraying oil under the pistons and this will require a high pressure high volume oil pump.

You mean to tell me that you are going to accomplish all this by just bolting on a turbo and not taking the motor out and apart?