AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   All Other Audi Models (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/)
-   -   new cab owner with few issues already, please help (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/all-other-audi-models-11/new-cab-owner-few-issues-already-please-help-39042/)

mike_99l 08-16-2006 04:51 AM

new cab owner with few issues already, please help

hey guys, i picked up today a 97 cab with 56k miles on the it, the car is in fantstic conditions but has its problems.
1- the fuel pump is very loud??!!!
2- sometimes, i noticed fuel odor
3- when i hit bumps , it sounds like i dont have a suspension at all??
4- the air bag light is on.

the car also has those big sport seats, but has the old steering wheel that i thought was changed in 9 with the new round one! can some one confirm that?

anyway, here is what i think of my problems and hopefully some of you can help me out
1- may be the fuel pump is just getting old:)
2- the fuem pump is may be causing the fuel odor
3- the shocks seem fine, so it may be some bushings, which ones are known to fail?? i noticed on the top of the front struts, there was no rubber?
5- if i disconnec the battery for a while, would it reset? or else

thanks in advance for your help, i will post few pictures when i get a chance to wash the car and wax it. itd actually a pearl white with black top and black interior. first impressions of the car, runs smooth with a really weird transmission, sometimes it makes sense, sometime it doesnt.
later

InExile 08-16-2006 06:59 PM

RE: new cab owner with few issues already, please help

check for gas leaks and if the gas tank is sealed like its supposed to be ... if the gas tank fuel pump acces hole is open ... then you got odor and puel pump noise

hubturn 08-29-2006 02:56 PM

RE: new cab owner with few issues already, please help

Did you do a Carfax to make sure it had not been damaged? i.e. air bag blew and they guy replaced the steering wheel instead. I recently removed my steering wheel and it requires the air bag to be removed. If all does not go perfectly, you get an air bag light. It is my understanding, but I am not positive, that the light can be reset with the diagnostic computer (Vag-com, etc). As to the front end, your upper strut mounts may be worn out. Just replaced mine and the strut inserts. Struts didn't seem to be worn out but it made a huge difference. Wish I would have done everything while I was in there as I have to go back and replace control arm bushings and an inner CV joint boot. Check all that out and unless you have time and budget constraints, as I do, just replace it all, strut inserts, mounts, bushings, maybe even ball joints and tie rod ends. Gas smell - don't overlook the fact that the solid gas line to braided hose joint is right in front of the cabin air intake which is located just below the windshield on the passenger side. If that joint is seeping, even slightly, you will get the gas smell. Good luck.