P/S fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:03 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: P/S fluid

There were a bunch of lawsuits. The point of Dexcool was it was supposed to be a 100, 000+ mile antifreeze. What they found out was the radiators were getting plugged quickly, engines were leaking Dexcool, and engines were getting ruined...even the ones that never had a cheap owner put the "wrong" antifreeze in were getting plugged up and overheating. I think there is a big class action suit still in progress over it.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:46 PM

I use the antifries that goes with all antifriezes is it okey?
And by the way I use now syntetic power stiring fluid and no funny noises coming out of the engine.

Old 10-05-2005, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

The companies that make the antifreezes that are compatable with both dexcool and standard ethylene glycol swear that there are no problems, and I haven't heard of any. Best thing that you could do is make sure you flush the cooling system thorughly before putting in something different than what is currently in the system. Unless you or a previous owner put dexcool in your car, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just make sure whatever antifreeze you put in is phosphate free(hehe and not dexcool).

Old 10-05-2005, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

The oil companies manufacture engine oil to standards described by the SAE, Societty of Automotive Engineers. There are a few other organizations that measure standards...but the standard worldwide seems to be SAE. Engineers that build the engines of todays cars really just pick what standards meet their requirements and that is what gets printed in your owners manual. Unless of course a new engine requires something special, then the chemists get to work at the oil companies and the SAE grades it.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

Back in the late '80s, the Chevy manuals specifically warned you against too much viscosity enhancer, specifically, if you used 10-40, rather than 20-40, you WOULD varnish the rings, it would be specifically denied under the warranty. 20 W low to high, alright, more, and the varnish would build up.

I am kind of pissed, right now, as I just had my oil changed and asked for 20-40, they said they only had 10W-30. OK. Now my guage is topping out at about 4 BAR, rather than the 5 BAR before the change.

Cheers,

George

Rhib,

Yes, the SAE qualifies an oil, but the mfgs determine what their requirements are. SAE does not say, Here's what we got, take it or leave it. Kinda like Audi says use Pentosin rather than the PS fluid on the racks.

Old 10-06-2005, 01:57 PM
1st Gear

Gotta love GM engineers...I can't complain about em though. I have a 94 GMC Sonoma that is just shy of 200,000 miles no major repairs and doesnt burn a drop of oil or leak any fluids. All this on 5W-30 as recommended by the owners manual...hehehe and no dexcool!

Yes, the SAE qualifies an oil, but the mfgs determine what their requirements are. SAE does not say, Here's what we got, take it or leave it. Kinda like Audi says use Pentosin rather than the PS fluid on the racks.
[quote][Engineers that build the engines of todays cars really just pick what standards meet their requirements and that is what gets printed in your owners manual. Unless of course a new engine requires something special, then the chemists get to work at the oil companies and the SAE grades it. /quote]

I thought that was the point I made...if not, so sorry.